Sign in to follow this  
DavElk

Arizona Unit 1 Early Archery – Getting Warmer?

The best advice I can give for you is to be flexible. Don't over commit to a certain area. One area might be awesome for a few days and then a ghost town just a few days later. All of the unit holds elk and all of it holds bulls that will hit your goal. Put camp in a central location that will allow you to drive to other parts of the unit.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks Heat & 208muley for the words of encouragement, very much appreciated. Won't argue this post has had it's share of commentary beyond my original intent and has been a bit intimidating for a newer person to the social media world.

I choose to put a positive spin on it. I believe the majority of people that elk hunt are very passionate about it. For some it's their livelihood. I have received some very helpful information from some very genuine people that will no doubt add to the enjoyment of my hunt (for me enjoyment does not relate directly to success or score...but it's fun to dream about). For the many positive responses I am very grateful and have no problem with the input of people that have a deep passion for the great wapiti; I realize most of it wasn't directed at me personally (or I hope not).

Such is life on the internet I guess. For me on this post the good has far outweighed the 'not so good'.

If my hunt provides as much enjoyment as the planning I'm in for a great couple weeks. Can't wait to be frustrated by those bugling bulls.

Thanks to all for reading, replying, offering help, or sharing your opinion.

• Like 1

Unit 1 can be a lot of fun during the rut. I had the archery bull hunt last year and it was the toughest year I have ever had up there as far as bugling went. I had only 2 days that I would call good talking. There were a lot of people in the field and it was extremely warm. The increase in tags has affected the bulls being as vocal. Even with that, the bulls are there. If its like last year you will have to adjust and find something that works. Also, don't be fooled into thinking there are 400" bulls on every ridge, its just not true. There will be a couple real good bulls taken probably but the top end horn growth from after the fires is over. I have hunted the unit for close to 30 years and the horn growth is pretty much back to normal. By normal I mean a 350 is a very nice bull. Plenty of 320 type bulls there. I hope the weather cooperates better this year and you are getting temps around freezing at night. My best advise is to just enjoy your experience. Being in the elk woods is one of the neatest experiences to be had in the hunting world IMO. Don't set your sights too high and when you find one you like, make it happen! If you want to, PM me and I will help you out. All I ask is for some good photos and a story when you get your bull!!

• Like 2

After much deliberation between the Hoyt Nitrum and Matthews NO CAM....I'm now the owner of a NO CAM. My Matthews Z7 now becomes my backup bow. Don't think either was a 'wrong' decision. Now the focus to increase my effective range with a cut on contact broadhead, physical conditioning, and continue to narrow down my hunt locations. Hope this note finds everyone doing well. Have a good Memorial Day weekend. Any update on rain / antler growth for Unit 1?

Take care,

• Like 1

I am up in unit 1 now. Most of the snow is long gone. From the bulls I've seen the past couple of days I'd say antler growth is looking really good. Jusy from the main roadway I've already seen 3 bulls that will be monster no doubt day 1 shooters.