IA Born

Finally Got Some Browns!

My wife and I both had last Friday (Good Friday) off, so we dropped the kids off at school and took off shed hunting. About 45 minutes into the hike, I looked down to see a "branch antler" sticking up. After verifying that it was, indeed a juniper branch, I happened to look farther downhill and saw a definite fresh brown antler! After four long years of looking and only finding 1-3 year old antlers or broken pieces, I finally found my first fresh brown elk antler, complete with some blood on the base.

post-4869-0-91666300-1428341663_thumb.jpg

post-4869-0-86823000-1428342242_thumb.jpg

Pup had to check it out, too.

post-4869-0-45187500-1428342368_thumb.jpg

We searched for the match, but came up empty. We ended up hiking a little over seven miles for the day, dropping in and out of/crossing a couple of canyons and walking some very unforgiving, rocky mesas, but this was the only one we found on the hike.

Back at the truck, with two tired dogs.

post-4869-0-55598600-1428342078_thumb.jpg

As we were driving back home along the Forest Road, my wife yelled at me to stop because she saw a branch that looked like an antler, 40 yards off the road. I looked across her and without my binos, knew we had brown number two for the day. The ironic part is that, because of where it was, we drove past it on the way in and it was on my side! redface.gif It was a small 4-point side from a raghorn, but its still a great find!

post-4869-0-85132200-1428342142_thumb.jpg

This was an awesome Good Friday! Our total haul for the day.

post-4869-0-88823900-1428342198_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

cool! I found 3 small browns this weekend, I think 2 might be a rag horn set but you can never tell with them.

Awesome! Congrats on your first brown! Those are definitely neat finds. Can't beat Browns!!

Awesome finds!

Very Nice I found a 260 6x 6 200 yards from your second pic on Easter Sunday with all the tire tracks I was blown away no one spotted it.

That's both awesome and funny because it definitely wasn't there on Good Friday! Give me a shout if you ever need a partner up here!

Very Nice I found a 260 6x 6 200 yards from your second pic on Easter Sunday with all the tire tracks I was blown away no one spotted it.

200 yards? Wow.

Nice job always good to find some fresh browns