Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Urban coyote

Pulled into my parking lot at work, 34th St and Airlane by the airport and there was a coyote trying to find its way out. I took a couple of pictures and ended up herding it out a walk through gate and it went up on the railroad tracks. Last seen walking the tracks east bound.

post-736-0-08315300-1428503290.jpg

My neighbors have been seeing one in my neighborhood (Chandler/Dobson) at night. Maybe it will take care of all our neighbors cats that run around.

• Like 3

See them right in my neighborhood right in Central Phx (Central & Northern) on occasion! North Mountain and Squaw Peak are fairly close here, plus with all of the alleys, hedges, etc. it seems like there is plenty of cover and habitat for them right in the middle of town. Sometimes I'll see one just lounging in a front yard during daylight hours.... :lol:

Kind of fun and novel to see them on occasion.

S.

:)

• Like 2

My neighbors have been seeing one in my neighborhood (Chandler/Dobson) at night. Maybe it will take care of all our neighbors cats that run around.

Interesting you mention that about coyotes and cats.....after hearing the report that they had a clinic for spay and neutering cats for free the other day at one of the vet clinics......last year they did 17,000 cats. They offered free traps for trapping stray cats to bring in and have them taken care of........we have become very soft in our feelings for animals and the coyote is a perfect predator for taking care of stray cats....17,000 cats spayed and neutered and then turned loose again???? Crazy!!!

• Like 2

That's what I'm talking about. Hope he makes it to my neighborhood.

Interesting you mention that about coyotes and cats.....after hearing the report that they had a clinic for spay and neutering cats for free the other day at one of the vet clinics......last year they did 17,000 cats. They offered free traps for trapping stray cats to bring in and have them taken care of........we have become very soft in our feelings for animals and the coyote is a perfect predator for taking care of stray cats....17,000 cats spayed and neutered and then turned loose again???? Crazy!!!

When I was an Animal Control Officer I took 25 cats off one property. I knew many ranchers close by that I could call and drop feral cats off at their barns to take care of mice. That way they got the mouse population taken care of without having to take care of the cats. They would lose cats to hawks, owls, and coyotes. One time I had a big mean tom in a trap on the way to a ranch way out of town and mother nature called. I stopped by a wash and that cat in the bed of the truck spitting and hissing called in 6 coyotes and me without my .222 Rem..

• Like 2

"I knew many ranchers close by that I could call and drop feral cats off at their barns to take care of mice" -Sparky

-If anyone here wants free cats, please let me know :)

When I was an Animal Control Officer I took 25 cats off one property. I knew many ranchers close by that I could call and drop feral cats off at their barns to take care of mice. That way they got the mouse population taken care of without having to take care of the cats. They would lose cats to hawks, owls, and coyotes. One time I had a big mean tom in a trap on the way to a ranch way out of town and mother nature called. I stopped by a wash and that cat in the bed of the truck spitting and hissing called in 6 coyotes and me without my .222 Rem..
That's the ticket!! Cage trap 1 of many feral cats around my house and take it out on a varmint hunt! Brilliant! I promise to bring the cat back unharmed. :)

If I set out 15 traps in my backyard tonight I would have 15 feral cats in the morning, no joke. My neighbors feed them in the alley behind my house. Many times I have asked them to stop and they won't. This is right off of 32nd St and Thomas. That coyote can come hang out in my neighborhood for a while.

• Like 1

I can't believe you all don't like cats!!!! I have 2 of them. A Siamese and a Tabby.

1 on each side of my fireplace mantel................JK

• Like 2

I can't believe you all don't like cats!!!! I have 2 of them. A Siamese and a Tabby.

I never said I didn't like cats....I have two that we love endlessly....but ferel cats.....definitely not a fan.

What? You took Coues sheds and made a Siameselope and Tabbylope? Maybe you had antler less tags?

BTW..I have two indoor cats only. Feral cats are responsible for songbirds declining in cities.

• Like 1

Just FYI...all cats are Ferrel. That's why there is NO license requirements for them. The way I see it is...if you own a cat..little fluffy or whatever it's name is,, it's your responsibility to take care of that cat before it gets out and becomes ferrel. Spay, neuter, keep it from Clawing up someones seats in their new boat, spraying in someones truck so you NEVER get the smell out. etc..etc. I don't have to worry about them as I have 2 big dogs that love cats. They think they taste good I guess. It would bother me though if I knew little 7 year old Cindy or whomever lost her cat to my dogs because the owner didn't take proper precautions to make sure they weren't harmed. IMHO

• Like 1

Just FYI...all cats are Ferrel. That's why there is NO license requirements for them. The way I see it is...if you own a cat..little fluffy or whatever it's name is,, it's your responsibility to take care of that cat before it gets out and becomes ferrel. Spay, neuter, keep it from Clawing up someones seats in their new boat, spraying in someones truck so you NEVER get the smell out. etc..etc. I don't have to worry about them as I have 2 big dogs that love cats. They think they taste good I guess. It would bother me though if I knew little 7 year old Cindy or whomever lost her cat to my dogs because the owner didn't take proper precautions to make sure they weren't harmed. IMHO

Yep, spayed, tagged and indoors only.

I saw 4 yotes running a drainage near my son's school near 94th Ave and tbird. I have also seen them near 83rd and olive.

I wish one would stop into my hood and take care of the stray cats my neighbors feed.