Sign in to follow this  
bgshooter

1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4

For those that know a lot about quads, does this sound like a good deal?

1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4

650 miles

$2500 obo

Body looks decent from pictures. Assuming it runs good when I inspect, I'm thinking of asking $2000 and meeting him somewhere in the middle.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I have only owned Honda and Yamaha put fresh oil and clean the filter they last along time. I have several friends that have owned Polaris quads some have had great luck others were fixing them all the time

I think with the few miles on it that's not a bad asking price.

I have a 2001 Polaris Sportsman and an 2005 Ranger. I drive like an old lady, regular maintenance, always kept in garage, Absolutely ZERO problems. I can't recommend Polaris enough.

$2,000 is probably a price I would feel better about on an older quad. If I remember correctly the suspension on that model is different and rides a little stiffer than the newer 4 wheel independent suspension.

I just bought a 2004 sportsman 500 last thanksgiving it has 1200 miles on it I paid $2800 for it, guy was asking $3400. Mine was super clean with not even a scratch in the plastics, a friend who works on them went thru it & replaced the drive belt & brake pads. Now it is like brand new. I would offer $1800 & go from there worst he can say is no.

A couple of things stand out to me in the description. It's 17 years old with only 650 miles?? And if the body is only in decent shape after 650 miles, where did the wear-and-tear come from. Was it left out in the weather all this time?

• Like 3

Hey BG, I have a 2001 with around 2000 miles on it I've been thinking of selling. It's the ducks unlimited edition with camo and winch. In the last year I have put new wheels and tires ($700) and had it completely serviced with all fluids and new belt, ($650). I've never had any problems with it. I'd take $2500.

TJ

post-414-0-16328700-1429064913_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input...Tucson John, you have a PM coming your way...

I have both a 98 and a 99, 99 they went to an electroic braking system that was a big improvement. I have cosidered selling and have looked in to pricing. everyone in the business has told me that ANY sportsman in the 98-2003 than runs is worth 1800.00 no matter what condition. 2000.00 is well worn body and plastic but running good. 2500.00 good looking body, runs good. 2800.00 perfect body, runs excellent

on a side note; mine is the 98 it is well used but still the most reliable quad of our three

Tucson John, very nice to meet you today. Thanks for the great deal. My wife loves her new to her quad. Can't wait to take her out.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Ben