It's so easy but I still find it the hardest thing to do."JUST WRITE IT DOWN" Not only will this allow others to share in the hunt but will let you go back years fom now and refesh your memory of what might have been forgotten forever. Believe me when I say it will slip. :angry: It's part of life we have been handed. Run your own test on one of your kids and ask them about details of one of thier hunts that happened just a few years ago. What day was it? / What was the weather like? / The time of kill? / Who all participated. / What they wore? You get the idea. I recently found some notes from a late 70's deer hunt. It brought back happy memories that I had completely forgotten. Years from now when the old mounts have decayed, family and friends have left for happy hunting grounds, there will still be this precious little diary that will bring life back in our hearts through a hunter's eyes. :D "JUST WRITE IT DOWN!"

Don't forget to take photos and video. deal.gif

That's for sure, thanks!

Very good point but,

Tom is technicaly challenged :lol:

For now. secret.gif By this time next year you just wait and see. :lol:

Very good point but,

Tom is technicaly challenged :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's very funny Mike. I can't help it, but we didn't have this technology back when I went to school. Don't know what happened with the spelling either. :(

Bass,thanks for watching my back. Look out Mike caus I'm gettin smartter fast. :lol: :lol:

I tried to get my older brother (he's a marine) to keep a journal when he went to Kuwait a few years ago, & he didn't do it. The following year, after being home only a couple months he was deployed again to Afgahnistan. This time I threatened him (probably w/ physical violence - don't remember for sure as I didn't write it down) that he'd better not get off the plane w/out a journal in his hands. He did keep one, which I now have. Being attached to an airwing, he wasn't real thick in the poop so to speak but it's still great to read about what things were like over there from a family members perspective. Stories about how they killed time by making a golf-course out in the bomb dump, using empty oil cans for the holes. Other stories about the "natives" who hung around & they got to know & even a few instances of spending all night huddled in a bunker because they were taking artillery.

The point being that it's not just a good reflection tool for yourself, but a great way to let others share in the experiences they couldn't join you on. I also think it's a good indicator as to what's happening in your life. If you read your own journal, and find yourself getting bored, that probably means you're spending too much time at work & not enough time outside. <_<

I know what you guys are saying its real easy to forget details of even the worst hunts, but sometimes those are the best ones to remember I dont know why that is? I had to ask a friend of mine if he knew how many cow elk I have tagged i could not remember all of them. hindsight is not 20/20. I am going to make a point to make a journal even to include the scouting trips. looking back it would be great to read.

I post all my stories on here in as much detail as I can and then print them out and keep them in a scrap book. I always make note to mark where I went on what day so I will not forget the places. I also have photo album full of all the pictures I take from my hunting trips. I hope to never forget any of my hunts because I learn something new everytime I go out and I always attempt enjoy every second I spend in the field even if some are not so enjoyable.

Thats a good idea younghunter, I might start doing that. I've always wanted to start a feild book and make note on ALL my trips out but just haven't gotten into the habit.

When I shot my cow elk a few years ago, I got home to find out that someone did not load the film properly, this was back when we used 35mm, and I have not pics of the experience. I just about cried, it was my first big game and it was with a bow. I wrote the whole experience down, now I just have to remember where I put that disk. :(

Very good post. I have made notes and records for years of all my hunts. There have been many times I was so glad I did. As years go by it is so easy to forget Road numbers, gate numbers and other details of the hunt. There are a few game animals that I took many years ago before I started making records that I cannot remember exactly what year it was. This is frustrating to me. Thanks for postin tjhunt2.

Very good post. I have made notes and records for years of all my hunts. There have been many times I was so glad I did. As years go by it is so easy to forget Road numbers, gate numbers and other details of the hunt. There are a few game animals that I took many years ago before I started making records that I cannot remember exactly what year it was. This is frustrating to me. Thanks for postin tjhunt2.

Thanks for the reply. I can also remember many hunts but not the year or details myself. I feel your frustration as well, that's why I thought I'd mention it to others. Good luck on your future hunts.

Good advise guys! When I make a kill I am usually so full of adrenalin I can't remeber the detail a few hours later let alone a few years later, and since I am hunting solo so much I hardly ever get good pictures

If you guys buy and carry a small digital recorder in your pocket, you'll save lots of paper and gather many more details of your hunts. It's also great for recording details of a scouting trip, especially if you use the recorder along with a GPS unit. -TONY