MT_Sourdough

You tell me, how timely is this rain?

My side of the state, 16a, 18ab, and 10, it doesn't look like enough rain to make water run much or fill tanks etc, just enough to give the grass a little drink. Looks like central and eastern AZ are getting some more today which is great.

• Like 1

New Mexico has land owner tags and the land owners put out vitamins and minerals, steroids (steroids not legal now) to produce antler growth. I know because I have put it out for them. The reservations do the same. Big antlers means big money for a tag . just good business.

I'm with you all, let it rain & snow, good for all

• Like 1

Not illegal to put out minerals and salt but could be illegal to hunt over it. I have found natural salt licks in the middle of nowhere too far to bring the minerals in. Deer came up and started eating the dirt. I do know this weather did mess up our turkey hunt over the week end but give us more rain! Interesting discussion. I think the rain helps the feed for deer and elk, better feed means more nutrition to go into antler growth. If the animals are not stressed by predators and feed then more nutrition goes into antler growth but as stated genetics plays into it as well.

• Like 1

Personally I don't think monsoons help much if at all. I think the condition the elk was in coming into the growing season counts most..If last year He didn't get good food and protein and food during the winter, that was bad and if it was a harsh winter I think thats what hurts most for growth.The shape they were in coming in to growing season. Thats where I think snow and rain like we just had help cuz its early and its good for food growth. Monsoon is kinda late. There mind is telling there body what to grow right now depending on the shape there body is in ..Just what Iv'e heard. This is Biologist bob out...........BOB!

• Like 4

Listen to Lark. Bulls with big-antler genes will grow big antlers in both dry and wet years. Bill Quimby

My pointy exactly Bill. I really believe that if the genes are there and have been you can expect good horn growth wet or dry.

• Like 1

True! Bulls with the right genetics will grow big antlers even in dry years but they will still be effected.

Timing is everything ! It's been about 7 weeks since we had rain here in Northern Arizona!

The last of week of Feb & the first 2 days of march produced almost 3.73 inches of rain!!! That just carried us through this 7 week dry spell!

This storm brought over an inch of rain !

This will be a good antler growth year!

• Like 4

Havasu got a decent soaking and I was up at Willow beach Sun and it was enough to wash out the road there again. Hope the rest of the state got a lot. It can't hurt the elk at all and it's really good for the small game, especially the Quail.

Looking forward to a great hunting season. Water in a dry state=good no matter when you get it. Spreadout throughout the spring as everything grows, perfect.

• Like 1

I'll put up some pics later when I grab my camera but I took pics of a bachelor herd of 5 bulls on April 1st that all were starting to grow. One was past his ears already!

• Like 3

Iv'e allways heard and said it before on here ,on a drought year a bull will be 10-20% smaller. Oviuosly the ones with better genes may only5% smaller who knows? We will never know. I do know that they are smaller tho to various degrees. In 1996 I killed a 330 bull in unit one, on the early rifle hunt. when I took it to the Taxi in the white mtns ,He had a bunch of bulls from the reservation and only a few were better than mine. (That made me feel better). These guys all paid 12k plus at that time. (96 was one of the worst drought years). So I am blessed to draw this year when conditions have been almost perfect. I would take one more good rain for greedyness. lol. But personally I don't think monsoon matters that much. So I think I am in good shape. Now I need to get in good shape........BOB!

• Like 3

Iv'e allways heard and said it before on here ,on a drought year a bull will be 10-20% smaller. Oviuosly the ones with better genes may only5% smaller who knows? We will never know. I do know that they are smaller tho to various degrees. In 1996 I killed a 330 bull in unit one, on the early rifle hunt. when I took it to the Taxi in the white mtns ,He had a bunch of bulls from the reservation and only a few were better than mine. (That made me feel better). These guys all paid 12k plus at that time. (96 was one of the worst drought years). So I am blessed to draw this year when conditions have been almost perfect. I would take one more good rain for greedyness. lol. But personally I don't think monsoon matters that much. So I think I am in good shape. Now I need to get in good shape........BOB!

You better be in shape soon Bob. That early bull hunt is just around the corner. Remember, It takes us older guys a little longer to look like this again.

before and after pics.

post-12458-0-32300300-1430264400.jpg

post-12458-0-45312400-1430264518.jpg

• Like 1

I been hiking hills here turkey hunting. It let Me know out of shape I am in. Going again tomm. am. been calling in jakes and missed one Tom I jumped, I think tomm. will be the day. If not I get more hiking in. Then I got gotta do it in town here. Need to loose 15-20 lbs........That means less beer. Dang it. I will be ready come Sept.........BOB!

• Like 1