Siwash

Suggestions on 3/4 Day Charter Trip out of San Diego

I will be in San Diego over Memorial Day weekend and I am looking at booking a 3/4 day (6am-6pm) trip for Yellowtail, etc. There are a few outfits that run charters and the cost seems to be the similar across the board.

Anyone have experience on this type of trip with Seaforth or Point Loma Sportfishing?

I have fished the salt several times and know the fishing will be what it is, more curious about the crew/organization of either company or if someone has had good experiences with another outfit?

I'm going to SD with girlfriend and we have tickets to the Stones Sunday evening so an overnight trip isn't an option, but she will live if I dip out for the day to fish :)

the san diego out of seaforth is the easiest but h&m will have a 3/4 day boat also-the malihini.

crowds are prohibitive on 3 day weekends but the view and ocean are nice anyway.

memorial day fishing is what started the term 'cattle boats' for san diego and la open party fishing. try to weasel yer way into a charter group.

good luck,

lee

Fished with Captain Buzz on the prowler for years. He always seems to find the fish. Charter boat is the way to go. No cattle boats for me. Point Loma.

I ended up going with Seaforth a few months ago when I had the same question. It was a slow fishing day (they were on a hot streak the days prior and after it turns out), but the crew was friendly and overall a good experience. They do a lot of moving around looking for fish so you don't actually spend a lot if time fishing compared to driving around. I would book them again. The only draw back really was a couple other people fishing on the boat were rude but regardless of which boat you book you may end up with that issue. If I would do it again I wouldn't hesitate to try them again. For a little more you could do a small boat trip with Captain James Nelson. I researched him and he ahs great references.

Watched fish counts/numbers on the 3/4 day options and ended up going with Point Loma Sportfishing primarily b/c the other 3/4 day boats were at or near capacity. We had 29 anglers on the boat and ended up with 5 Yellowtail and a small assortment of rockfish. A poor day's fishing by any standards. As Flash said, we spent more time cruising the Coronado Islands than we did fishing. I seriously doubt I had my line in the water for more than 80 minutes total and we were on the water for almost 12 hours, although about 2.5-3 was spent getting out to sea/returning. I have to assume the captain knows best, but on average we were in 100-120' of water and it was not uncommon to only get your yoyo or dropper loop rig down ONCE before the captain said bring' em up, we are moving. That was frustrating. Everyone on our boat was friendly and respectful, which was a plus.

I think if I did this type of trip again I'd just do a .5 day or budget more time and go for several days further offshore.

Sorry to hear of the slow day. That kind of thing happens regularly if you go enough. Sometimes the Captain is looking for that one magic stop where the fish, the current and the bait line up and the sea lions stay away for long enough to have a really good bite. More often than not you just cruise looking around. Hope you have better luck next time. FYI it took me taking a two day before I managed to catch my first yellowtail or albacore so stick with it! Those Coronado Island 3/4 trips really are very hit or miss especially this early in the season.

Took my wife on a trip out of PL. 1/2 day with just the capt. and 1 deck hand. Kinda pricey but we had an awesome time. It wasn't the right time of the season for any deep water stuff but we caught tons Calico bass, Barracuda, had a YT swirl on my bait and a nice Bonita which the Capt quickly filleted and chilled and we had awesome sushi about an hour later. My wife said it was one of the best times she ever had. Her first time ocean fishing.

post-12458-0-89275400-1432662969_thumb.jpg

post-12458-0-46657600-1432662985_thumb.jpg

post-12458-0-52792700-1432662995.jpg

• Like 4

$450 includes all you beer and lunch, I drank my $225 worth but I think my wife was a hundred short. me> :wacko: my wife> B)

That doesn't sound that bad, I spent $290 for my girlfriend and me on a 3/4 day with a bunch of yahoos, and it was $4 a beer and they ran out of Tecate at like 8am :)

post-2628-0-59702000-1432701961_thumb.jpeg

post-2628-0-94510700-1432701974_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

The Captain on the Point Lina used to be a real prick. Well known for saving fuel when going a little farther might get Some fish. Driving around in circles to seem like they are looking, but very slow as to save fuel.

That boat is also famous for bullying smaller private boats off spots. Did it to me twice on my 19' center console at the Coronados.

I fished with them once s long time ago on a payed work trip too. Yellowtail were breaking fast and the only people catching them were those throwing surface iron. One of the deck hands took over the front of the boat throwing iron into them and bullying the rest of us out of the way. This guy was a monster and a dick head. The same deckhand threw iron at my boat while the caption was on VHF telling us to leave on one of the previous encounters. He kept way over his limit and didn't hand a single fish off to paying customers. Even cussing at kids to get out of his way. I managed to get a few casts in here and there for a few yellows, but it was tough. So basically that Ahole, me and maybe 1 or 2 other people caught them. Counts they posted said lots of yellowtail all around. I can go on and on about other people stories and encounters with them, besides my personal experience. I hate that boat!

Things might have changed, but I'll forever steer people away from that operation. There are usually several good options everyday that are better than the PL. the freelance out of Newport run trips to Catalina, sometimes that's a better option than SD too. Not sure if they still run those trips, but worth checking into. For SD, seaforth is so much nicer for parking. That's where my 2 day leaves from this year. Nice to avoid the parking and traffic zoo that's involved with the other SD landings.

• Like 1

I was on a 2 day and hooked into a 85# tuna. There were 12 others fishing at the same time. We were all friends. The tuna proceeded to go around the boat about 4 times and we had to go over and under a bunch of other guys fishing poles. If it weren't for the deck hand helping me we would have got tangled or broke off. Landed him and had a great fish to show for it. Deckhands can be your best friend at times but they do have there place.

• Like 1