SwampMafia

Do rage broadheads suck?

Rage is probably the highest marketed and sold broadhead at this time. Is it all a sales pitch? Or are they decent? I've heard horror stories of the things completely failing and then stories of great success. Opinions?

I wouldn't say they suck. There are other BH's just as good or better tho.

I think if you do enough research you'll find great success and great failure with every commercially available broadhead.

• Like 4

A few years back, their blade retention system was terrible. It actually cost me a deer. They have fixed that problem and I have heard nothing but good things about them since.

I know I don't trust the original 3 blades for big game after seeing them dislodge and retract both in the quiver and with an arrow knocked.

Since I'd already purchased them I keep one in the quiver exclusively for coyotes, or in this case, my first Abert. I wouldn't say they suck, after all, I did get a full pass through. The blades and arrow were put back in place for another shot at another critter.

post-3844-0-60881200-1430323999_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Id stick with fixed blade for elk. Shot a nice bull last year with a rage and had no clue what happened. Saw the fletching hit right behind the shoulder at 60 yards. Never found blood or the arrow. Might have just been horrible luck that it opened in mid air but I will never know. If it were a fixed blade I know for a fact that bull would be hanging on my wall :(

• Like 4

Killed a javelina a few years ago with a 3 blade, took several shots but the Pig bled like crazy. All were easy pass throughs and expanded correctly.

the 3 blade rage has sealed the deal for me several times for deer and elk. (They used to open early but this has been fixed) They fly true and leave a huge hole. Passed right through the elk in my avatar, 50 yards and done with red spray paint the whole way. Similar stories for the deer.

After years of use, I can say I trust these heads. You just need to add "check the blades" to your drawing cycle.

Yes and No. I used to use the Rage and it worked great on my Javelina. I hit a buck on another hunt great shot in the shoulder and never picked up blood. I had a visual on the buck from 30 to 80 yards just could not see the blood but could see the arrow. I quit using them because I got tired of the blades falling on stalks. I use the Gravediggers now and love them. They are similar set up to the Rage but they hold their fixed position until impact.

From what I've see over the last 20 years there is always a chance any mechanical broadhead can fail. When they work the blood loss can be massive. I have not been one of the people who can speak from first hand experience as I have only used fixed broadheads.

• Like 1

I'm sold on them, after my close friend shot three deer in a row and seeing the massive blood loss, I gave them a try. I've never looked back and have no reason at all to try and use anything else. Currently using the rage extremes and they are devastating. Normally animals expire within eye shot and rarely make it past 15-20. Never had any issues and the shock collars hold the blades in place just fine.

All my shots have been 30 or less, I have shot the practice tips out to 60-70 yards and would like to try an actual hunting head at 80 to confirm what I believe to be no issues at longer range.

• Like 2

I've killed quite a few animals with the rages and I can honestly say they make the largest holes I've ever seen. I've killed 2 bulls with them (both being complete pass throughs) in which they both died within eye sight. My only complaint is they will pop open inside your quiver even with the shock collars. Schwackers and gravediggers are my personal favorites. I would still recommend the rage for flight and massive wounds.

Yes they suck. I took them to Kansas last year for a whitetail hunt. The cold weather made the o ring hard and brittle. They disintegrated in my blind after two days!!!!! Never again. Nap kill zone is now my choice. No o ring.