fdh88

Why kind of game for first bow hunt?

I'm new to archery and have been learning about technique and watching a lot of videos about archery and bow hunting. I'm hoping to spend this year getting ready and then go on a hunt next year. What kind of hunt would you all suggest for a first time bow hunter? I've been looking at javelina and turkey. My husband is a bow hunter and he has been great with answering all my questions. I'm just curious to know what other opinions or advice is out there. Thanks

Javalina is probably the easiest to hunt. However the only big game animal for an easy to get tag is deer. Add that a lot of time is available to hunt them, I would say put in for tags of your choice on other big game but start on deer in August or December.

• Like 1

I would definently say javelina. It is a really good way for bowhunters to learn, you can practice many stalks and have more room for error.

I agree with Javelina, they are a blast to hunt. Jack Rabbits are also easy to hunt at any time you want although they are not much of tablefare.

post-5874-0-77118100-1430332722.jpg

• Like 1

If you already have a bow you can do Turkey in a few weeks then deer in August. You have a long wait to hunt Javelina.

Anything you can get a tag for. Last year was my first archery tag and I got buck fever on a simple cow elk at a waterhole. Get a bow in your hand and a tag in your pocket and go enjoy.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the advice. I have a rifle elk hunt this year to look forward to but I'm also doing all I can to learn about bow hunting.

• Like 1

If you have a "rifle" elk hunt, that is a general hunt. You can legally take and use your bow. Sounds like a great opportunity to me. I agree with the above post on hunting rabbits with your bow. Great practice during the off season, and really fun to boot. Makes hitting an elk at 50 yards seem easy if you can hit a rabbit at 30.

Thank you for all the advice. I have a rifle elk hunt this year to look forward to but I'm also doing all I can to learn about bow hunting.

There you go! First try Elk with a bow, switch to rifle if you wish to.

I think Elk are the easiest to hunt with a bow. Easy to stalk, big vitals area, nowhere near as wary as a deer. Javelina can leave you quite frustrated as can deer. I have been archery deer hunting on and off for 20 years and still dont have an archery buck under my belt. I have 3 archery elk in 3 attempts.

• Like 2

Mexican Fantale, there's a few guys on here that will tell you how to pursue them.

I started with rabbits and a light recurve. For a compound, javelina or wild hogs are perfect. You can go to CA or TX and have great opportunity on wild hogs year round.

Jvelina and deer january combo hunt. Can't beat it for an easy tag to draw and a long season.

Anything you can get a tag for. Last year was my first archery tag and I got buck fever on a simple cow elk at a waterhole. Get a bow in your hand and a tag in your pocket and go enjoy.

+1 anything you can get a tag for. Javelina are tough just because everytime I buy a tag or get drawn they hide from me! Ha ha I still have not killed on of those stinkin pigs yet!!!

• Like 1