yotebuster

Looking to build a big 33 and have some questions

So the time has finally come where I'm in a position to replace my old 7mm STW with something new. I've been researching ballistics a lot and am really leaning toward a .338 cal. I don't plan on taking shots past 1000 with it but would love to practice beyond that range. I know that a .300 ultra or .30-378 will have plenty of energy at 800 yds or less but I really like the wind drift numbers I see stepping up to a 300 gr bullet in a .338. I'm truly starting from scratch, looking for a builder, action, barrel etc and want some opinions. I want to keep the whole package around 12-15 pounds at most as its gonna be a hunting rifle foremost. My budget is probably in the $3-5k range for the rifle only and I'll bug you guys more when it's time to scope it. I really liked the idea of a suppressor like I saw on Goatsie's rig they other day but I dunno how practical that is for a hunting rifle? I also realize your gonna have to stay under .30 cal for that. Please let me know your thoughts on where I should start. My only rule is no savages as they make me want to puke when I see that big barrel nut.

Not to dissuade you from a .338, but a .300RUM or .30-378 Weatherby, shooting 210/215/230/240 grain bulles has enough energy for elk size game (1500ft/lbs) out to 1100+. More with the heavies.

The big .338s and 300gr. Bergers/SMKs can carry those numbers out to 1600+.

But if your criteria is "only" 800 yards, you have a ton of options in .308 to 338" bores. Anything you choose from .300WSM and up will do more than you could want.

My vote is 338 Lapua Improved with a Defiance Deviant action and a Bartlein Sendaro or hvy varmint. McMillan or Manners stock.

• Like 1

Longe Range is a passion of mine and I got into a 338 Lapua along the way. It was a beast of a chambering with a ton of capability! (300 gr SMk's literally punching holes through 1/2" mild steel at 500yds) The biggest downside of stepping up to the lapua is the cost to feed it. I only reload for my centerfires and even buying in bulk didn't help with the Lapua. It just flat out cost a lot to feed it and it was heavy! I carry heavy rifles as the norm, but the 338 was a bit too much. I found myself leaving it at home when heading to the hills. After being honest with myself and my needs (killing elk and smaller out to 1,000). I sold the rig and invested elswhere. Any of the big 30s or 7's for that matter with high BCs pack enough heat to tip elk and deer at distance.

If you must have a 338 I would think about barrels 28" and longer to take advantage of the cartridge. This will make it hard to keep as a lighter hunting rifle. Also plenty of 338 cans out there. Even some with built in brakes to tame the blast. (ThunderBeastArmsCorps)

I agree with wampus, my recommendation is the 300 Norma!

I agree with wampus, my recommendation is the 300 Norma!

Thanks for the PM's Goatsie! I'm really leanin towards a 300 Norma with a can on it. I really like the idea of shooting without hearing protection! I've torched off my dad's 30-378 a time or two too many without ear plugs!!!

300 weatherby. off the shelf brass and more power than a 300 win.

300 weatherby. off the shelf brass and more power than a 300 win.

But then you have to shoot a weatherby. I own a 338 lapua. Something about squeezing the trigger on a 300 grain bullet really makes me smile. If you want a big 338 caliber, go for it. Don't let anyone push you away from it.

• Like 1

I went through this myself a couple of years ago. My vote is for the 300RUM pushing the Berger 230gr Hybrids. My Phoenix Custom Rifles 300RUM has a 28" Kreiger barrel and I am getting 3,050fps with the 230gr Hybrids. A G7 B.C. of .380 and that speed is awesome. I have shot it out to 1,800 yards and I have no regrets about not going with a .338

I like the .338 lapua, that pic to the left is my .338. A remington 700, bluprinted, trued and lapped then put into an AIC chassis.

Also have a savage 110 fcp hs in 300win. Weight wise there near the same in the hand. I havent had the time to shoot either much and my bank account is glad about that. Im sure you can keep it close to both your weight and price point. Id recomend getting a good base long range like a savage or Remington in .338. Shoot it for a while and build up from their. New barrel once you wear the original down a bit. Then start droping the cash to improve it. Have you thought about optics or are you set from your 7mm?