Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Smith and Wesson M&P Shield

Looking at buying one. Anyone have real-world experience with them? I'm looking at the .40SW version.

I have a shield in 9mm. I carry it EVERY day in a Alien Gear hybrid holster. I carry 124 gr Federal HST (the best defensive rounds in my opinion). I love my shield. I am ordering a Glock 43 next week. I'm not sure the Glock can replace my Shield but we will see. I have one of the models with the thumb safety. I prefer no safety but it wasn't an option when I bought mine.

• Like 1

I carry a shield (9mm) off duty, love it. Compact, nice trigger, slim and incredibly reliable. Highly recommended. I've always been a block guy but even the 43 feels bad compared to the shield.

My husband has the .40 and loves it. Very concealable and feels great. His has the thumb safety, but you can get one without. I personally like the safety. Recoil isn't bad either. He likes the trigger on the Shield but I've also heard complaints about it too. There's an Apex trigger kit for those who don't like it. It's a great gun though and I'm starting to want one myself in 9mm. Good luck with your purchase.

M&P make some of the best Semi-Auto's i have ever seen. I bought one about 2 years ago and I have never ever ever had a problem with it. NOTHING! Great weapons. I have the 40. Holds as many as a 9mm and has more knock down power as well.

• Like 1

I want one as well! I will probably go with the 9mm only because I already have die for realoading and anther 9. I would like the 40 but it is probably easier to have duplicate rounds rather than another new one.

The Glocks and even the XD's seem a little over priced and the reviews seem excellent on the M&P.

• Like 1

I carry the Shield in a 9mm and love it. Great gun, not a single misfire, malfunction, failure to load, etc. It feels great in the hand and is accurate.

Go to Caswell's or C2 Tactical and try them out. I shot the Shield in .40 and the XDs in 9mm. It's a toss up. The recoil is quite noticeable with the Shield .40. I prefer to stick with .40. I have the XDm .40 compact and love it. It is pretty concealable, but could be better, on my skinny body.

I don't like a thumb safety, so I like the two safeties of the XDm/XDs...backstrap safety and trigger safety. My son is planning to buy the XDs in 9mm....so maybe I'll wait and play with it for a while.

I picked up a Shield in 9mm for the boss but she was not quite ready for CCW carry so it moved on. I was really impressed with it.
My first compact carry was an LC9 and I carried that for nearly two years and I hated the grip. Loved the slimness over all for carry but that made the grip very uncomfortable.
The Shield fills my hand much better. Today I would probably go with an M&P compact but the wife would vote for a Shield and it would be in 9mm because the .40 would be too snappy. Todays 9mm is nothing to look down on.

Most of the sellers on backpage want new money for them so definatly buy new.

More D

It should be mentioned, the newer shield triggers are different than the older ones, and much smoother.

The shield is a very nice carry, but so is the glock 43. Try them both out, I personally am going to get the 43, and put my 23 back in the safe.

I just ordered my 43 on Tuesday... Hopefully I have it in a few weeks