capoeirajosh

Backpacking sleeping bags!

Check out the Enlightened Equipment quilts. I have the Revolution 30 and it weighs under a pound. This thing compresses down smaller than a football. Run it with a good thermal pad and your good to go and can save at least a pound in your pack. They offer garage sale items that will save you some coin because they are pricey.

I have heard about these quilts. Was actually checking out the hammock gear quilts. This might be a stupid question, but what is the difference between the quilts and the sleeping bags? If I am not mistaken, the quilts don't have a zipper to close you in. How does this work in conjunction with your pad??

The quilts have a adjustable foot box and straps for your pad so it doesn't slide around. The sides tuck under you which cut down draft. Go visit Rokslide and research quilts. Most hardcore backpack hunters have gone to quilts to save weight.

The quilts have a adjustable foot box and straps for your pad so it doesn't slide around. The sides tuck under you which cut down draft. Go visit Rokslide and research quilts. Most hardcore backpack hunters have gone to quilts to save weight.

I am for sure looking more into quilts. I do like the freedom it looks like you have with the quilts. I am a side sleeper. I also like the hoods on traditional mummy bags though. Tough decision.

Anybody have any experience with the marmot helium 15?? Looks like a pretty solid bag.

Light small warm..... EE quilts!!! Xtherm pad and you are golden! If you are a bag kind of guy check out western mountaineering. It's all about the pad in cold weather so get one with a high r value. Xtherm is about 6 if I remember correctly. And I go full length its 14 oz. the quilt is less than 2 lbs at 10 degree rating. If you oversize the quilt you won't feel so claustrophobic. I flop around a lot and a quilt is better for me. Also if it's warm you can vent the foot box to cool it down. Compresses to about the size of a football. It's definatly worth a look.

Light small warm..... EE quilts!!! Xtherm pad and you are golden! If you are a bag kind of guy check out western mountaineering. It's all about the pad in cold weather so get one with a high r value. Xtherm is about 6 if I remember correctly. And I go full length its 14 oz. the quilt is less than 2 lbs at 10 degree rating. If you oversize the quilt you won't feel so claustrophobic. I flop around a lot and a quilt is better for me. Also if it's warm you can vent the foot box to cool it down. Compresses to about the size of a football. It's definatly worth a look.

I will do that! Just curious, is that size with the quilt in an actual compression sack or just a stuff sack?

I run a cabelas xpg evader 30. I run the taller one. Being 6'2" I need it even if it means a little more weight. I believe its just shy of 3#'s. I've had it in below 30's hunting rutting deer in January with clothes on inside bag. Hasn't done me wrong. Stuffs down about the size of a football. Looking into hammocks for this coming season..

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

wow this is all a different language to me. You guys have liners? I have a kelty cosmic zero and i love it.

wow this is all a different language to me. You guys have liners? I have a kelty cosmic zero and i love it.

I bought one this last winter due to the fact that since my daughter has begun backpacking with me she has taken over my zero degree bag (early inheritance i guess) and now dear old dad spends the nights shivering in the 20degree bag. They help a little, but I think before this January I'll unclench the fist a little and by another 0degree bag.

X 2 on taking a look at Western Mountaineering. They have some semi-rectangular options for those that mummy bags don't agree with as well as your standard mummy bags. The down they use is top notch and you can confidently use your bag to the degree rating stated even if you are a "cold" sleeper. I would also recommend taking a look at the Kifaru bags. They use synthetic insulation but it is lightweight and backpackable, similar to down.

X 2 on taking a look at Western Mountaineering. They have some semi-rectangular options for those that mummy bags don't agree with as well as your standard mummy bags. The down they use is top notch and you can confidently use your bag to the degree rating stated even if you are a "cold" sleeper. I would also recommend taking a look at the Kifaru bags. They use synthetic insulation but it is lightweight and backpackable, similar to down.

I was actually just looking at these this morning. The extra room might be nice, due to me being a side sleeper.

Well I broke down and bought an enlightened equipment revelation. Can't wait to try it next weekend on an overnight trip to set up cams in the backcountry. The construction is excellent and it seems like it will hold its 30 degree rating with my neoair xlite pad

NICE!