capoeirajosh

Backpacking sleeping bags!

Lets talk sleeping bags for backpacking! Right now, my bag is about 4 pounds. I am looking to get a more ultralight bag. Currently, I am looking at the Big Agnes Bellyache Mountain SL, Sierra Designs Zizzou 12, and the Kuiu Super Down 30. Looking to be in the 2 pound range with temp ratings being between 10 and 30 degrees. I figure I could just add a thermal liner if I was in colder conditions. Anyone with experience with these bags or any suggestions on similar bags, I would appreciate your input on the subject. I also like the Big Agnes Zirkel, but I am a side sleeper so the whole attaching the pad to the bottom of the bag is a no no for me. I am planning on picking up one of the Thermarest NeoAirs as a sleeping pad. Right now, I just have the foam roll up kind. Looking forward to your responses!

I use montbell and love it

Which Montbell are you running?

I also use Montbell. I have for years. I use the Down Hugger 650. 30 degree bag that weighs in at 31oz. Packs to the size of a nerf football. I found it somewhere for $200 and got a big agnes sleeping pad for free.

Brent

• Like 1

I also use Montbell. I have for years. I use the Down Hugger 650. 30 degree bag that weighs in at 31oz. Packs to the size of a nerf football. I found it somewhere for $200 and got a big agnes sleeping pad for free.

Brent

Nice! Have you used it down to 30 degrees? If so, how did it perform?

I use montbell and love it

Which Montbell are you running?

UL super stretch down hugger #2. I'll bring the silk liner if it gets below freezing. I don't like sleeping in my clothes.

• Like 1

I have used it to 8 degrees. I had to use a silk liner and some clothes but it was warm enough. If I think it is going to get close to freezing, I plan to sleep in some layers. I carried a kuiu down jacket on my Colorado trip and wore that while sleeping. I left the liner at home. It got done to 14 degrees. I was fine

Brent

• Like 1

Are you all using compression sacks with these bags or are the normal stuff sacks enough to get them down small enough to pack?

I had a long response for you but lost it...

First things first:

Buy a good compression bag, waterproof like eVent or silnylon, the right size to fit your bag.

With your price point and temp ranges you have way more options than you listed.

A couple things to think about.

Have you used a liner before? They arent for everyone and can make sleep harder for some people.

Are you a warm or cold sleeper?

Warm sleeper (on average) can get away with less bag than cold sleepers.

Have you considered a UL quilt? Same temp rating but closer to 1lb with similar price point.

Best advice I can think of is to actually get into a bag with the liner youre gonna use and the sleeping pad and any extra clothing and see how it fits.

The next is the warranty and company name.

Rei and some local stores (Az hiking shack) carry different brands that will meet your needs.

The two you listed (Sierra Designs and BA) are good bags.

Havent seen Kuius in person.

Check out the Marmot Hydrogen, (personally I dont like the 3/4 zipper)

Mtn Hardware Lamina Z

Brooks Range Drift

Montbell down hugger #3

Rei Radiant

Good luck! Buying a new bag is a personal thing...and youll be surprised that you didnt cut that 2 extra pounds earlier.

• Like 1

Lot of good ones out there. I us the REI sub kili zero degree bag. If you stick to something that is down filled you should be able to get something around 2 lbs that stuffs down to about the size of a football. They're a bit pricey, but I've been using mine for about 8 years now. Spend some cash up front and you'll only have to buy it once.

I have been using a Montbell for years and love it. I think it was what they called a superstrech hugger and it's rated to zero degrees. I have a very light silk liner I can use if it's really cold to add 5-10 degrees warmth. Montbell makes great products and after years of using it, I needed a new zipper. I mailed it to them and they fixed it for free even though they originally said they would charge me.

I have a lightweight pad. I got it at sportsmans for $60 and it rolls up to nothing and weighs hardly anything. I have a different one I use for regular camping that is self inflatable thus larger to pack.

Walmart has some good lightweight bags right now. Got one from tucson for $15 (same bag was $40 in gilbert). It's my kayaking bag.

• Like 1

Check out the Enlightened Equipment quilts. I have the Revolution 30 and it weighs under a pound. This thing compresses down smaller than a football. Run it with a good thermal pad and your good to go and can save at least a pound in your pack. They offer garage sale items that will save you some coin because they are pricey.