Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

Recommendations for .308 rounds?

I picked up a pretty nice Remington 700 bdl about a year or so ago and topped it with a trijicon Accupoint 5-20 x 50 scope. So far I've only been plinking close range stuff, w/ cheapie FMJ rounds. I stocked up on whatever I could find when this round was tough to get.

Anyhow, I've got nice glass on it & the wife set me up with a nice bipod for Christmas. I want to start shooting longer, but am not at the point that I want to invest in handloading my own stuff. Don't have time for another hobby. Can anyone recommend a decent off the shelf round? Thanks.

My starting point for all the caliber rifles I have is the Remington Core lokt. It shoots really, really well out of my .270 and I get decent performance out of some others. The terminal performance on a ram, a pronghorn buck, a few elk and a deer have all been excellent. Of course there are much better and more expensive projectiles out there, but this one just plain gets the job done and is an economical place to start. Another round that I hardly ever hear bad things about is the Nosler Partition but those are kinda pricey for some calibers unless you roll your own.

Best advice I can give is to get a few boxes of different ammo and see what YOUR gun likes, because each and every rifle barrel is a bit different when it comes to what cartridge works best for it.

Good Luck and have fun at the range!

Nick

• Like 2

Hornady loads the AMAX in 308. Also the SST.

Is that what your putting through the one you were/are working on? Any complaints?

Hornady loads the AMAX in 308. Also the SST.

Is that what your putting through the one you were/are working on? Any complaints?

Yes I used the Amax but hand loads.

The federal premium stuff with the 165gr Sierra Game king is where I would start.

you do not say what you are shooting at. targets - there are a LOT of 168 and 175 match bullets loaded in factory ammo from many manufacturers. fed gold medal match is the standard. for hunting ammo a 150 or 168 cbt from Winchester.

my only recomendation would be to sell it and buy a .270. Lark.

Yeah, I was just thinking that same thing. ...

my only recomendation would be to sell it and buy a .270. Lark.

Worst advice ever!

you may be right, ain't everbody can handle the responsibility of owning the rifle of the Gods. takes a real special person to own up to such a high calling. .308 is ok, it's just like an '06, only less. Lark.

• Like 2

you may be right, ain't everbody can handle the responsibility of owning the rifle of the Gods. takes a real special person to own up to such a high calling. .308 is ok, it's just like an '06, only less. Lark.

I don't understand. Are you saying you like .270's. .270? :P