WHALE

Willow Springs Smallmouth

I have heard from friends and other forums that AZGFD is trying to remove the smallmouth from Willow Springs. I have never had to much of a problem with what game and fish have changed or done but if this is true it could possibly be the dumbest thing I have heard. We fish this lake almost exclusive every summer for these fish as do ALOT of others. I emailed/called game and fish to see if this is true without a response yet. Anyone know the truth on this topic and if it is happening is there any way to stop it?

I wouldnt mind a relocation to Lake Mary :D ..... But that would be a shame they should be adding more smallmouth to all our northern lakes. They take great Love rocks and ABSOLUTELY LOVE Crawdads!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I have heard from friends and other forums that AZGFD is trying to remove the smallmouth from Willow Springs. I have never had to much of a problem with what game and fish have changed or done but if this is true it could possibly be the dumbest thing I have heard. We fish this lake almost exclusive every summer for these fish as do ALOT of others. I emailed/called game and fish to see if this is true without a response yet. Anyone know the truth on this topic and if it is happening is there any way to stop it?

they did it to fossil creek.

James

Yes we catch a lot of little bass, blue gill, crappie and even a 3+ lbs bass once in a while. Nothing against trout we catch those once in a while too but if people want a trout only lake woods canyon is right down the road

• Like 3

If this is really true that they have removed that many bass out of willow then this is ridiculous. That lake has been a good lake for summer bass fishing for several years. No wonder it has slowed down so much lately. The ONLY reason I go to that lake and many people I know is because of the bass fishing. Like has been said before if someone wants trout only then they can go right up the road to woods canyon.

Why not get any public input on this move before they decided to kill off this awesome fishery? I'm sure this isn't the only time something like this has happened either.

• Like 1

Funny I was talking to that guy on the lake sunday

Trout is where they make there $ and that is why they remove pike from fools hollow when they zap'm the pike eat all the trout. wildlife views 2 summers ago had quite a article with a monster pike they removed. :(

^^ no kidding, kicking out state records and 20lb northerns. hmm lets get rid of them and stock 8" trout.

dude look through the records on the white mountain bass club page. they weighed something like 19lbs at willow springs once.

I went one time, didn't do good at all but I saw some toads.

^^ no kidding, kicking out state records and 20lb northerns. hmm lets get rid of them and stock 8" trout.]

Personally I like the smallies and northerns but I must say the article in wildlife views explained it all very well from financial aspect and explained your chances of catching a pike vs trout and explained kill ratio and how big $ getting lost cuz they are feeding few pike with massive numbers of trout $$$

Im not sure of reasoning at willow but assume it is very much the same..?? again this fisherman prefers the pike, largemouth, smallmouth, crappie, etc in the cool mtn elevation WITHOUT stinkin ski boats flying past me Like lake Mary.

• Like 3

I don't understand why they would put pike in any of those lakes? They're worse then releasing wolves! Here in ND we judge a lake based on whether its been wrecked by pike yet or not.

• Like 1

yeah that's exactly right, ND has them everywhere. we have them in a few places and about 1000 where you can catch trout. personally I like variety and not just trout.