AZ_SAWBUCK

Ground Elk Recipes

Here's my recipe for meatloaf from elk and deer meat. I cook it in a microwave because it's faster than an oven and doesn't affect the taste or texture at all. It takes only about 40 minutes to prepare and cook. Pyrex loaf pans are too large for the microwaves at our home and cabin, so I use plastic food-storage boxes. ..............

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground elk or deer;

12-or 16-oz. size Jimmy Dean sausage;

1 egg, beaten;

3 slices white bread, torn into small pieces;

1 cup milk;

1/2 tsp. black pepper;

1/4 tsp. ea

dry mustard,

sage,

celery salt,

garlic powder ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mix together the spices, bread, milk, bread, etc. and add ground meat and sausage.

Form into loaf and place in microwave-safe pan and cover with waxed paper. (If you want, spread catsup over meatloaf.)

Microwave on high for 30 minutes or until thermometer shows 160 degrees internal temperature.

Drain and cover with foil; let stand 10 minutes before slicing........

I apologize for the way the way everything above is run-together. It only happens with my posts on CW.com and it's darned frustrating! ..........incidentally, Lark is right again. You don't need special recipes for venison. Cook it as if it were beef.

------ Bill Quimby

• Like 2

ok Bill, now i'm hungry. sittin' out here waitin' on this exray crew to get done and you go into detail about meat loaf. thanks. my wife made some pronghorn meatloaf the other day. by the way, pronghorn burger is about as good as it gets. with no fat added too. great stuff. it's a cryin' shame goats ain't as big as buffalos. anyway, the meat load was absolutely wonderfull, but the best part was the fried meat loaf samwiches the next few days in my lunch. she would slice it up about 1'4-3/8" in thick, fry it kinda crispy, put it on some real thin sliced dill rye or sourdough bread with a little mayo and cheese. just a little of each. i always ended up eatin' em for breakfast while they were still warm because i couldn't wait until lunch time. oh man they are toooo good. i am so happy i have an elk tag. there have been times we've cut the back staps out of a bull and then made burger outta the whole rest o' the elk. my oldest son did that 2 years ago on a huge bull he shot. can't go wrong with elk burger. happy eatin', Lark.

• Like 3

Lark: Elk and deer meatloaf is good cold, too. We keep it in the fridge and I cut off a slice whenever I want a snack. I drew another cow tag near our cabin, and am looking forward to having it again next winter. Never tried antelope burger, but it should be good. I've always cut my antelope into steaks and roasts, except for one time when I had a Wyoming butcher turn one into sausage because I figured it was the best way to get it home on a commercial flight. The sausage was okay, but nowhere near as good as fried pronghorn backstrap or a pot roast with carrots, onions and potatoes cooked in the same pot. I add flour, milk and lots of pepper to the grease or broth and make a white gravy to slather over everything.

-- Bill Quimby

I have a killer recipe for Italian meatballs, that are better than anything I have even had in any restaurant. I never measure, so the below is a guess at quantities other than the meat.

1 # 75% elk/25% pork (or just straight elk is fine)

1/2 cup finely chopped Boars Head Pepperoni

1/2 cup Parmesan/Romano cheese

1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

2-3 tablespoons ground Italian spices/seasoning

1 Tablespoons crushed red pepper

Mix it all up in a bowl.

Make golf ball sized meatballs (10-15)

Brown outside of meatballs in melted butter or hot olive oil (I have tried both)

Take 2 Jars of your favorite tomato based sauce (I like Classico Spicy Red Pepper)

Pour one jar in a 8x8 or 9x9 casserole dish.

Place meatballs in dish and cover with other jar of sauce.

Heat oven to 350° and cook covered for 30 minutes

Remove from oven, cover entire dish with another cup of mozzarella cheese and place back in oven for 10 minutes.

Cook your favorite pasta (we like Angel Hair), top it with this, and enjoy. Makes a lot of food.

Dang, now I am hungry.....

• Like 3

Stuffed pablano chilies. Cooked Burger onions Rosemary diced tomatoes cumin garlic salt cracked pepper

Stuff in chili cover top with cheese tooth pick it closed and bake or grill until chili is tender and even charred on outside. Top with some hot sauce and sour cream

Oh and an ice cold beverage

• Like 1

Not so much a recipe, but I like to take one of those 5 pound packs of bacon ends (leftover smoked pork belly from making bacon) and grind it in with lean elk. About 2/3 elk and 1/3 bacon ends. Best burger you ever tasted.

• Like 1

Not so much a recipe, but I like to take one of those 5 pound packs of bacon ends (leftover smoked pork belly from making bacon) and grind it in with lean elk. About 2/3 elk and 1/3 bacon ends. Best burger you ever tasted.

been doing that with deer or any meat for a long time now. I guess it's the "hip" "chick" thing to do with the new age folks lol. If they only knew they were following hunters tradition....... Carrot burgers anyone?
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the good ideas. I'm going to have to try and make those meat balls bet they would be a good spin on the traditional spaghetti that I always make. Adding some bacon fat to the burgers sounds like a great idea too! Thanks and good to hear from you coach!

So I tried my hand at making meatloaf for the first time. I'm happy to say I think I NAILED IT! Its pretty close to Bills recipe with the exception of the sauce. I'll give credit where credit is due....Thanks Bill.....Great recipe.

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground elk

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1.5 cup dried bread crumbs

1 onion finely chopped

salt

pepper

garlic powder

Sauce:

1 cup of favorite BBQ sauce

1 cup regular yellow mustard (the kind you put on a hot dog)

2 teaspoon brown sugar

Thoroughly mix in separate bowl.

Pre heat oven to 350

Thoroughly mix ingredients in bowl with hands.

Put loaf ingredients into two separate greased bread pans, and spread evenly.

Add sauce to top and cook at 350 for 80 minutes. Take out of over and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Then Enjoy!

My wife and kids loved it! I cant wait till lunch time when I get to have some left overs :)!

post-6362-0-67690400-1434384222_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great. Like you said looks like you nailed it.

I have been using my elk and deer burger in burritos during scouting trips.

1lb burger

1 pack ortego taco seasoning

1 can ro-tel

1 small can diced green chili

1 can black beans

Sour cream and cheese

I tripled this and made 20 burritos wrapped in foil and froze. They are perfect in my portable oven in my rhino.

I always save a few pounds of ground or stew meat to cook up on the next years hunt. Figure opening day venison farts are better than any decoy, scent, camo, blind, or lure ever made! It's worked off and on over the years.

Haven't read all the responses yet so I don't know if it was mentioned yet but I like to do stuffed bell peppers. There's lots of different bell pepper recipes if you Google it. Can't beat spaghetti or meat loaf either.

Wunder if Lark has a good ground javelina recipe. Or any one for that matter.

25-06: The only way I've been able to eat javelina is to cook it in a pit. I start by digging a hole in our sandwash about the size of a 55-gallon drum, fill it with mesquite, and set it afire. Next, I split the javelina down its backbone, wash the carcass well, slather it with commercial barbecue sauce and put each half in an old but clean pillowcase. Next, I wrap each package in wet newspaper, about 1/4-1/2 inches thick, then wrap each package with heavyweight foil and tie it with baling wire. When there's a foot or more of hot mesquite coals, I lay a small sheet of tin on the coals and place the packages on the tin, followed by another piece of tin on top of the packages, then bury everything. It is important to make certain no smoke escapes. If it does, pile on more sand. 24 hours later, dig up the packages (I remove them with a hay hook. That's why I tie them with baling wire). When still hot, the meat literally can be shaken off the bones. Serve with beans, cole slaw, and sangria, and call your friends. Bill Quimby

• Like 1