Sign in to follow this  
azshtr

Tent Trailer Advise

You all have collective wisdom beyond your years. School me on opinions regarding pop up tent trailers.

My situation: I love hunting and camping. Ground sleeping, cot sleeping, tent sleeping, throwing a bag in the bed of the truck... no problem, I don't care nor does my dog. The wife who is not a hunter but likes the outdoors... Kayaking, jeeping, hiking, biking, working out... etc, amazing shape for a 54 yo!.. )No pictures pervs) says "I'd like to start camping more, but don't want to sleep on the ground." BOOOM tent trailer on the mind. Easy to tow. Versatile. Throw the kayaks on top etc.

Looking at what is in the world of tent trailers I see marginal off road capacities vs very off road capable... short no frills vs longer more convenient floor plans. I know her minimum is a place to do her business in the middle of the night, indoors. Beyond that she is fine doing natures calling outdoors.

I like the smaller jayco baja designs. The Off road Colemans are nice. the Vickings lifted are nice but I worry about flexing them or the Colemans. The Jumping Jack trailers are awesome but to minimalistic.

So... short and lifted for off roading vs interior comfort. Opinions? Whats the sweet spot?

And... anyone have one for sale?

One of the many draw backs is the canvas if not kept clean and dry is a fungus magnate. The less expensive models have smaller wheels, un treated partical board floors and cheap power inverters. Some models won't even come with a battery nor charge an added battery.

We have the shorter offroad style Starcraft RT10 and like it a lot. Ours does not have the storage platform at the front and can get into some pretty tight places.post-4521-0-38383600-1434754566_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When I was an RV tech we called them lunch boxes for bears. They do a good job and serve their purpose. The one thing I can say to look at is the lift systems that is what was replaced most on them. I saw one recently being towed by a VW Jetta so they tow pretty easy.

• Like 2

When I was an RV tech we called them lunch boxes for bears. They do a good job and serve their purpose. The one thing I can say to look at is the lift systems that is what was replaced most on them. I saw one recently being towed by a VW Jetta so they tow pretty easy.

I guess a tent then, would be a sandwich bag? ;)

• Like 1

Tent was a sack lunch and sleeping bag was bear burrito :D

Hunted and camped with the family for years in a Coleman pop up. We set it up exactly for off the grid camping. Ditched the inverter and went with 12V only system. Worked great. Lifted it (over axle swap) and replaced the rear bumper with angle iron. It could go almost anywhere my 4x4 would pull it and sometimes places it shouldn't have gone.

Good: Small, light, airy and easy to maintain. The Sunbrella fabric lasts and lasts with no mold issues. Get it.

Bad: Small tires eat hubs if you drive fast. Carry an extra hub, bearings and all the stuff needed to fix them. Cold, you will never sleep colder than in a tent trailer. Think about your butt hanging over 3 feet of open air. Noisy in wind (flappy flappy).

Bears?: Don't eat or fix food in your trailer. That is what the outside mount for the cook stove is for. Sleep with a Glock or similar tool just in case.

Get one. You will love it. When you sell it you will cry.

I love my popup! but is was a "lunch box for bears" once.....just remember not to leave your food in it if you are going to be gone a while. Popups can give a false sense of security but they are just glorified tents and so easy access for bears.

At least now I have cool bear paw tracks on the table which I sprayed with clear acrylic to preserve them!

Luckily the bear did very little damage as the canvas just pulled away from the velcro and clips and didn't rip.

post-1-0-39517700-1434766904_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have a star craft rt-11 love it , and I am selling it. #1 they take a lot of care, love, maintenance. #2 they depreshate fast if you buy new. I bought mine fore $12500.00 in 2005 its in great shape but probably only get $6500.00. #3 very easy to set up and break down, dry, and warm. I would take a pop up over a tent and a full sized trailer, much easier toeing.And the front quad rack is awesome for all your camping supplies or your full sized quad and 18" ground clearance. pop up yes. My opinion

Ran into my Sister and BIL this eve, they told me that their 05 Jayco pop up is for sale, wants 4000.00. If interested PM me.

I had a Colman Santa fe. It had everything you could ask for in a tent trailer-shower, toilet, king beds, heat etc.It was to low to the ground so I put a leaf sprung axle under it with bigger wheels. I think it only cost around $350 for the parts.I also welded on a steel rear bumper just like Whitesheep.You can find some pretty nice tent trailer for under 4k.

Thanks all, just the info I was looking for. I'm still learning what is out there and weighing needs. My guess started at $1500 / $3000 used and I as I figure out wants / needs the price is $3000 / up. How far up is a decision. I guess any decent rig that gets used is a win situation regardless of cost.

One item I see on some is an AC... anyone here have experience with running an AC on these trailers? Worth it or not?