eom

Late season camping

I have the late 22 north bull hunt this year and was planning on getting a jumping jack trailer because of there simplicity and ability to haul my ranger crew but after adding the options I would want it just didn't make sense to pay that much money for a tent on wheels... Toyhauler are not really an option because I have my ranger crew to haul and my truck is paid off and only a 1/2 ton not sure it would do great hauling that much weight plus there a little out of my budget I looked into a hotel room because I would like to shower once or twice haha but it was gonna be around 750 for the full 7 days so now im looking into other options like canvas tents I like the kodiak tent because it's easy setup and would much rather camp out than stay in a motel if you tent it for the late hunts what do you do to stay warm in the tent? Do you shower or just use no wash soap?

Tent with Big buddy propane heater. Good sleeping bag and Buffalo Trace straight up.

Shower can wait.

• Like 2

Get the Kodiak tent!! Use a propane heater & turn it on just before you go to bed than again in the morning to take the chill off.

Definitely get a good sleeping bag. The shower part is up to you, we usually heat up water & take a sponge bath & use baby wipes

before bed. We usually smell pretty rank on the way home, but we don't care its hunting!!

• Like 2

i had the late hunt on 4b 5 years ago and stay in a hotel, it was the best thing i ever did, you get up and shower, warm, if you sleep in a tent when is 16 degrees at night you don't want to get out of your sleeping bag.

that is just my opinion, if you are hunting far away yes but 22 north there is plenty of hotels.

The Kodiak tent is pretty awesome. I just bought one and used it for a 3 day family trip and it was great. I am glad the guys on here guided me in the right driection. It should be the last tent you buy.

With a mr.buddy heater and a decent bag you should be able to stay warm for sure even if it is cold as heck outside.

• Like 2

The other option is try and find a cheap cab over camper. All that it has to do is be a hard sided place to sleep. My buddy got a screaming deal on a 6.5' model for $300. It isn't pretty but the jacks work and with a buddy heater you will be warm. I honestly think the Kodiak Canvas is a better option unless it is a blizzard outside though. More comfortable and more room.

• Like 1

i had the late hunt on 4b 5 years ago and stay in a hotel, it was the best thing i ever did, you get up and shower, warm, if you sleep in a tent when is 16 degrees at night you don't want to get out of your sleeping bag.

that is just my opinion, if you are hunting far away yes but 22 north there is plenty of hotels.

Spend your money on reusable gear and scouting...not unnecessary luxuries
  • Like 1

There are a few toy haulers that can be hauled with a half ton. Have a friend take the OHV up and rent a trailer. Can't go wrong staying in a trailer. Warm, shower, get out of elements in case of a storm.

That said I have a 10 x 14 Kodiak. Buddy heater, Butler Sleeping bag, Shower enclosure with a shower made out of a 2 gallon bug sprayer with a long hose and shower head. Put in a little warm water if cold outside or just fill and leave in the sun to warm. 10 x 10 popup canopy with sides to cook.

Very cozy setup and the Kodiak is a killer tent.

Steve

• Like 4

Guest 300ultramag.

Baby wipes, Kodiak tent and a kelty mummy bag.

Shower will be there when you tag out

• Like 1

I use a Kodiak tent in the late seasons and a 3 season back pack tent in January. I have never trusted a Mr. Buddy or any other propane type heater to leave on over night while im sleeping. I use a propane lantern that I fire up in the mornings, the tent is good and warm even when its down to the teens in 5 minutes or so. Get up get dressed and go hunt.

Wet wipes every night before going to bed and solar shower every few days. Water wont get very warm in a solar shower that time of year so boil some water and add to it.This is how I do it, otherwise get a motel room. Seems like you can find one in Payson with hot water for under $100.00 a day.

Kodiak 10x14. Cot with good pad, Elk hunter sleeping bag, Mr. Heater before bed and just before waking up. Never leave one on all night. If a shower is a must then use your god given ingenuity and make one. A pallet on the ground with a tarp around it and maybe a 5 gal jug with hose and a on /off shower head. Heat some water and take a shower. Wonder what type of shower Luther Kelley aka "Yellowstone Kelly" used?

• Like 1

I have the late 22 north bull hunt this year and was planning on getting a jumping jack trailer because of there simplicity and ability to haul my ranger crew but after adding the options I would want it just didn't make sense to pay that much money for a tent on wheels... Toyhauler are not really an option because I have my ranger crew to haul and my truck is paid off and only a 1/2 ton not sure it would do great hauling that much weight plus there a little out of my budget I looked into a hotel room because I would like to shower once or twice haha but it was gonna be around 750 for the full 7 days so now im looking into other options like canvas tents I like the kodiak tent because it's easy setup and would much rather camp out than stay in a motel if you tent it for the late hunts what do you do to stay warm in the tent? Do you shower or just use no wash soap?

You can heat water to wash with or even find a place close by (ie campground ) with a shower. You may need to pay a fee but it's cheaper than buying a trailer. I can clean up with a half gallon of water when hunting and I have a head full of hair. I use scent free wipes on in between days.

Its all about the wind to hide your scent.

I used to have a heater that could be left on all night. It was meant for tents and ran off small propane bottles. It was under $20 at the time.

just make two trips. get a camping trailer and tow your ranger separately.. plan a head..

• Like 1