Sign in to follow this  
bvanetten

5B North Bulls

I have an early archery cow tag in 5BN. Spent the weekend up there getting to know the unit as I've never hunted it before. Had a camera up there for the last 3 weeks so I was going to check on it also.

Are there any cow elk in this unit (kidding)! I saw 48 bulls and 8 cow.

Here are some cam pics.

super green up there, and tons of rain.

but the fishing sucked.

post-621-0-33024800-1436145117_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-55866500-1436145134_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-74272100-1436145146_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-07794600-1436145156_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, great pix for being four years ago lol! J/k

Wow, great pix for being four years ago lol! J/k

Crap! forgot to set the date!

honest, it was this weekend!

:)

• Like 1

Those elk will stop hitting that tank 2 weeks before the hunt! I drew that tag in 2012 and 2013 and had 13 bulls coming in every day and two weeks before opening day they vanish!

Those elk will stop hitting that tank 2 weeks before the hunt! I drew that tag in 2012 and 2013 and had 13 bulls coming in every day and two weeks before opening day they vanish!

Yep, they are all bachelored up. I'm worried I didn't see many cows. It's cool to see this many bulls but I have a cow tag.

It's early still we'll see what the next couple of months brings.

good luck keep scouting that will keep you out of the heat

Should be a fun hunt. I had the archery bull tag there in 2009 and 2010. Shouldn't be hard for you to find a cow once the hhnt starts.

I wouldn't worry too much, its normal. Most of the cows herds are broken up and hiding after they drop their calves. Once the calves can move around real good they will herd back up and be everywhere and very vocal.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much, its normal. Most of the cows herds are broken up and hiding after they drop their calves. Once the calves can move around real good they will herd back up and be everywhere and very vocal.

So a calf or fawn in distress sound might be a good coyote call up there right now? I'm bringing the rifle next time.

Holy Bulls, good luck on your hunt. That grass is almost so call its going to cover your cam.

Love those pics! Me and 4 buddies have the early archery bull tags. Looking to put our cameras up there in a few weeks. PM me if you want to talk at all about the hunt and/or share scouting info. We've hunted this unit for years.

Yea, cows with calves are going to avoid major water holes for a while. I have cams on water holes and I am getting more pics of mountain lion and bobcats than elk or deer

So a calf or fawn in distress sound might be a good coyote call up there right now? I'm bringing the rifle next time.

Definatly a good time to call coyotes! The fur sucks but a dead dog is a dead dog!! When fawns drop here in about a month will be another good time to hunt em. Good luck!