Sign in to follow this  
Danm223

New to Coues/AZ/34a

I moved out here a few months ago transferred from a TX BP station. I put tags in for 34a since its in my backyard. I am in the process of acquiring gear and learning the area for this years hunt. I bought a .257 weatherby mag, some desert combo, and a decent pack so far. I've got some 10x42 optics for this year(will prob work on getting some better binos and spotting scope next year). Any info on the area and or gear would be appreciated. I'm far from ready to hunt yet but I am working on it.

Plenty of deer. You shouldn't have a problem. When in doubt fine the Ocotillo's.. Putting binos on a tripod will help a bunch.

• Like 2

Hopefully oneshot chimes in. He knows a lot about the unit and seems to be very helpful to guys in that unit.

Like said above, lots o deer! They are high they are low and everywhere in between. One of the Funnest parts of any hunt is the scout so burn up tires and boot leather and have some fun! Good luck!

I do plan on putting some miles on my boots just waiting for it to cool down. Although I'll prob be waiting a while.

Just get out early and head in by 9:30-10:00. Watch for snakes.

• Like 1

You should pm oneshot. Super nice guy that sincerely enjoys helping others to succeed. I bumped into him a few years ago down there and he gave us a couple tips that had us on deer within about 2 or 3 hours of talking to him. Thats a good unit, good luck!

Get a tripod for your Binos. More important then better Binos, a spotting scope, and probably even more important then your rifle. I dunno much about 34a though but there's alotta guys here that do!

A lot of great area in 34a, the west side can get some pressure but most of those people will be driving the roads or glassing from their trucks. There are plenty of places you can hike in a little ways and get away from other hunters. My card got hit so I will be in there Either late November or December. (Hopefully December!!) Like oneshot I don't use high power optics to glass, I use my 10x42's on a tripod and I have a pair of 20x60's that I just use to get a closer look once I find something. You will be surprised at how many coues you will find down low so don't just concentrate on the hills. Good luck!

I've purchased a carbon fiber tripod. I have a pair of 10 x 42 steiners I got from work and will be topping my gun with a 4-16 vortex viper. I also am going to try to pick up a pair of vortex viper hds 15 x 50 binos before the season.

Right on, like oneshot said, Thanks for your service, there are alot of military / law enforcement guys on here it seems and this is the best hunting forum I've been on regardless of species and location. The willingness to share info and help each other is awesome!

Since I'll be out and about your way later this fall I will let you know how things go and hopefully provide some extra insight since this is both of our first time on Coues!