Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Bugles in July

We had a group come into our camp this time last year and the Bulls were bugling like crazy it was a great way to wake up

• Like 1

i've heard bulls whistle in every month of the year. sometimes they just feel like it. and cows will whistle too. sounds different than a bull, kinda like a spike, and it's usually a distress deal, but they will cut loose too. never say never in nature. anything can happen. Lark.

We had cows bugling near our camp a couple weeks ago on San Carlos. As has been said the cows make a high pitched sound that is like a partial bugle. Many years ago I filmed a cow bugling and it was in July.

here is a video of a cow elk bugling from Youtube

• Like 5

Amanda, Really cool video clip. I was a non believer til I watched your video TOO COOL!!! Learn something new every day.

Just heard some a bit ago in unit 8. All the cows were talking and a few bugles. Never heard cows talking so much.

Cows talk a lot (and bugle) in the summer, particularly after their calves are born. I'm just guessing but the full cow bugles might be for relocating their calves or telling the rest of the herd that a predator is in the area. I've also learned that the bulls like to have a "pre-function function" about August 15-16 after their horns are rubbed with about a "two-day sound off" to warm up their vocal cords for the upcoming rut season.