Desert Rat

Best rifle cartridge for open terrain - Unit 21 Whitetail hunt

You can get the 6.5 Creedmoor in the Ruger American or Hawkeye, and several Savage Arms models. Hornady has a handful of different factory loads.

25 super, ultra, mega long magnum. It's a 50 BMG necked down to 25 cal.😂

Id say anything 243 to 300 ultra mag is perfect, as long as you shoot it accurately.

• Like 1

I think my biggest problem with the 300wsm is the almost 31lbs of kick that i have to deal with, as it is a Tikka T3 Lite.

I bought it before shooting one to replace my 270, as its not like I have access to tons of rifles in all calibers to try like some on here seem to post as a possibility.

I ask the question to get opinions since i cant shoot every caliber before i buy, to see what others use. I have only shot a 300wsm, 270, 7mm mag, 30-30, 22-250 and 5.56/223.... so its not like i have shot a ton of calibers either.

Yeah, the 300wsm may be able to fill my tag with a marginal 500 yard shot, but i would rather wait for a 300 yard shot that i know i can ethically make, with a rifle i enjoy shooting and practicing with.

The 300wsm comes out of the safe, fire a couple rounds at the range to check it is still on zero, and back in the safe it goes. Maybe if i had a heavier rifle i would enjoy it more, but 31 lbs of kick per Chuck Hawks evaluation on this make/model/caliber is just plain unpleasent.

If you get a thrill out of having a 30lb sledge hammer smacking your shoulder more power to you...... but thats not my idea of a good time.

Plus like i said in the first post.... its a reason for me to get another gun with the wifes approval.

You can tell the single vs the married guys on here.... the single guys are the ones sayin just to shoot the 300wsm..... the married guys are the ones actually providing suggestions....

Have you considered a muzzle brake on the .300WSM? Cheap compared to a new gun. But no new gun. And loud on the ears.

• Like 1

Do you still have the 7 Rem mag? That's a great all around caliber and pretty dang flat with lots of energy farther than you'd shoot on game. Sighted at 200 with a good 160ish bullet you have a great gun without too much guesswork in drop and moa

• Like 1

Heck, just stick that 300WSM in a Boyds laminate stock and a nice soft recoil pad. Get the length of pull exact and put a soft cheek rest on it and you will dramatically reduce felt recoil. The money you save can buy a bunch of ammo for practice cause ammo aint cheap either.

Even less expensive, make a small sand bag that you can stick in the rifle's hollow buttstock for target practice. You'll probably be able to add a pound or two to the weight of your rifle and that will dramatically reduce recoil.

• Like 1

I think my biggest problem with the 300wsm is the almost 31lbs of kick that i have to deal with, as it is a Tikka T3 Lite.

I bought it before shooting one to replace my 270, as its not like I have access to tons of rifles in all calibers to try like some on here seem to post as a possibility.

I ask the question to get opinions since i cant shoot every caliber before i buy, to see what others use. I have only shot a 300wsm, 270, 7mm mag, 30-30, 22-250 and 5.56/223.... so its not like i have shot a ton of calibers either.

Yeah, the 300wsm may be able to fill my tag with a marginal 500 yard shot, but i would rather wait for a 300 yard shot that i know i can ethically make, with a rifle i enjoy shooting and practicing with.

The 300wsm comes out of the safe, fire a couple rounds at the range to check it is still on zero, and back in the safe it goes. Maybe if i had a heavier rifle i would enjoy it more, but 31 lbs of kick per Chuck Hawks evaluation on this make/model/caliber is just plain unpleasent.

If you get a thrill out of having a 30lb sledge hammer smacking your shoulder more power to you...... but thats not my idea of a good time.

Plus like i said in the first post.... its a reason for me to get another gun with the wifes approval.

You can tell the single vs the married guys on here.... the single guys are the ones sayin just to shoot the 300wsm..... the married guys are the ones actually providing suggestions....

6.5 Grendel can reach out. Not think it best if you are looking for 500yrd+ shots on game all the time due to it's lower muzzle velocity. But 400-500yrds on deer would be ok, there are a number of great medium game bullets in the 100-129gr range thta perform very well. It has taken Elk @ 400yrds. the round itself is capable of reaching out a mile reliably and consistently due to it's high BC bullets Then there is also 6.5creedmore, or 6.5swede for that matter for higher velocities. Grendel I know is just a real nice mellow shooter, something you can shoot al day and not feal beat up. Leading to better familiarity with weapon and performance which leads to better shots on game. I built up an AR in 6.5grendel and IT shoots sub .6MOA as long as I am doing my part and that was with a budget barrel and factory 123G Amax ammo.

Don't let the size and #'s fool you, the 6.5 bullet is a great performer even if the # on paper do not make it look like it is to some. Europeans been using it (6.5x55) for their big game for over a century.

My 6.5 x 55 drops animals out past 500 yards with very little recoil. Any of the 6.5s are excellent for people that want low recoil combined with excellent trajectory.

• Like 1

6.5 Grendel can reach out. Not think it best if you are looking for 500yrd+ shots on game all the time due to it's lower muzzle velocity. But 400-500yrds on deer would be ok, there are a number of great medium game bullets in the 100-129gr range thta perform very well. It has taken Elk @ 400yrds. the round itself is capable of reaching out a mile reliably and consistently due to it's high BC bullets Then there is also 6.5creedmore, or 6.5swede for that matter for higher velocities. Grendel I know is just a real nice mellow shooter, something you can shoot al day and not feal beat up. Leading to better familiarity with weapon and performance which leads to better shots on game. I built up an AR in 6.5grendel and IT shoots sub .6MOA as long as I am doing my part and that was with a budget barrel and factory 123G Amax ammo.

Don't let the size and #'s fool you, the 6.5 bullet is a great performer even if the # on paper do not make it look like it is to some. Europeans been using it (6.5x55) for their big game for over a century.

A 6.5 Grendel at a mile? That is really impressive. I would have thought with the lower MV, it would go subsonic and lose stability LONG before 1760 yards. More like between 1200-1400. My 6.5 SLR pushing 140 Berger Hybrids @ 2920fps go subsonic right around 1700+/- depending on weather conditions.

Yeah we are all pretty amazed and proud to hear he reached out that far with it. It is not ethical for game out to a mile by any means but there is at least one guy on the grendel forum on target at that range. The Grendel (and most 6.5) have phenominal ballistic coefficients, much better than the 30cal rounds everyone loves so much for long range shooting. Certainly 1 mile is the longest I have heard someone shooting it, but there are a number who run 800-1000 quite often.

He was shooting a steel plate at that range so would not show keyholling as well as paper, but the hits look nice and round.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?10403-Found-the-Magic-Mile-Mark!&highlight=mile

I just love it for the mellow recoil, past shoulder injuries have made my shoulder recoil sensitive lately and it is nice to have a big game gun that I am not flinching from after 5rounds. It is fantastic for kids and other people of smaller stature.

Funny you mention the 6.5 Grendel, as I recently picked up a stripped lower I am debating building either a 300blkout pistol or a 6.5 Grendel rifle out of as my next project gun.

For this hunt, since I already have the 300wsm and 7mm-08 in the safe, I think I am looking to add either a 243, 25-06 or 257 Roberts to the mix. I think the 257 Roberts will be out of the running due to factory ammo availability. At one point I was looking at the 280 and 260, ammo availability ruled those out as well.

I do have a single stage press that I use for handgun ammo, I have not ventured into reloading rifle ammo, but this close to a hunt, and with hopefully a new rifle, I would rather stick to factory ammo for now.

you need a remington 700 long range. or a .243 remington 700 heavy barrel.

a 25-06 or a .243

+1

I gots bad shoulders/neck/back.. 243's rock! love the 243

I recently fixed up a 25-06 and plan on doing some killin with it this season cuz it's kind of in middle of "im not shooting anything and ouch"