Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

.300RUM Upgrades

What paint are you using to paint with? I have everything to do mine with duracoat even a 400.00 airbrush just don't know if I want to touch it.

Aerovoe for the metal. Rustoleum, Krylon, and will use a bit of model airplane paint for the stock.

• Like 1

For the metal, I always use a stripper and degrease. Then hit with brake cleaner and finally wipe with water. It has always adhered perfectly. Even on polished stainless. Never had a chipping issue except around the crown where I get solvents on it.

For the stock, I used 120 grit lightly, then 220 grit sand paper. I didn't want it too smooth, so the paint will adhere well.

• Like 1

I have used both Krylon but then upgraded to the duracoat. Duracoat worked great but I am in no hurry to do my custom with Duracoat even though I know it would be great. I guess I will wait till after deer season to do mine. Yours looks good me likey.

I kind of liked the green stock with the stainless in the "white" look, but a little bling for my intended hunting use.

• Like 1

I really dont mind the shine but dont want deer to see it and spook.

• Like 1

So I was dying to get a few rounds down the barrel to season it and at least get an idea, so I swapped my SWFA 5-20x50 HD fro my AR onto the RUM.

20151018_073523_zps0roawrf0.jpg

20151018_075512_zpsnmr8jok3.jpg

I just loaded 15 sight in rounds @ 85.5gr, of H1000, and also a bunch from 85.5 to 92.0 grains if H1000 for a ladder test later on. Shot a total of 12 rounds today.

I took the chrono out just to get an idea of what it was doing from a 27.5" barrel.

Sight in loads are as follows:

Remington once fired brass trimmed to 2.835"

CCI 250 Mag primers

85.5 grains H1000

210 Berger HVLD

3.685" COAL (just barely fits in mag)

3.077" to ogive

2957fps average

ES=22fps (2948-2970 over 12 shots)

SD=6.11fps

Conditions were as follows:

75°F

Wind 1-3mph fluctuating

Baro 28.22

Humidity was somewhere around 65% according to Weather Center.com

Rifle weighs in at 13#. With the Badger Thruster brake, it recoils just barely more than my 10.5# .25-06 Ackley shooting 115 Bergers @ 3400fps. (I hear a lot of people stating their .300s w. brake shoot like a .243). Must be a feather weight .243 shooting some hot loads. Or a 18# .300.

Anyway, onto the results.

A few of the chrono readings first.

20151018_074351_zpsc9yehydg.jpg

20151018_074553_zpsvvxqs9tn.jpg

20151018_075203_zps8wmj3pxq.jpg

20151018_075337_zpsvetpn4m7.jpg

20151018_080144_zpsytqaqv0v.jpg

First group of 3 shots from the rifle after bore sighting only. I am pointing to the first round on a new, clean, oiled bore.

1%20to%203_zpsvnktjpof.jpg

Adjusted reticle right 3 clicks, up 18 clicks (1.8MIL or about 6" @ 100 yards) Shots 4 through 6.

4%20to%206_zps3d0ztljr.jpg

Shots 7 through 9.

7%20to%209_zpsfzxzyfyr.jpg

Adjusted down 1 click, left 1 click (.1MIL each) Shots 10-12.

10%20%20to%2012_zpsjybz3dgf.jpg

20151018_083508_zpswujln3ib.jpg

I quit there. Not much more I can do other than try to speed things up a bit. This is with absolutely no load development. It is with the first powder charge and seating depth I tried. Just seated to max mag length and let them fly. To say I am happy is an understatement.

I think I am going to leave it alone for Taylor's elk hunt in a month, as recoil is very manageable, and with the altitude and projected temps, it should retain 1500 ft/lbs out to 1000 yards or so, and 1000 ft/lbs out to 1350 yards. I will take it out and stretch it's legs after deer season to see how it shoots at distance and true velocity an verify drops however. Should make for an elk hammer once I get it sped up a bit too. It will go with us as an alternate backup for deer though.

Huge thanks to Phoenix Custom Rifles for putting together a laser beam on the cheap. I was giving my wife a hard time, since I just bought her a new Camaro last week, saying I get to go buy a new scope now. What can she say?

• Like 1

I've been watching this post waiting to see the groups it shot! Great job on the gun. Looks good and shoots even better. My gunsmith that build my .260 is building an ultra mag for me right now too.

• Like 1

To get to those results that quickly is really fantastic! Congratulations on an awesome rifle that I am sure will kill a lot of critters and paper. :D

After Taylor's deer hunt, I will be working on the paint job for the stock some more too.

A gun that looks good? Cool.

A gun that shoots good? A necessity.

A gun that looks AND shoots good? Priceless.

• Like 1