Sign in to follow this  
eagle#eyes

Question on Expensive Camo Pants

For those of you that wear the Sitka/Kuiu/First Lite/ Cabelas Instinct, do you notice any difference in them helping you stay cool in the heat? Hot is hot, especially here in AZ, so I was just wondering if they are as good and efficient as people say they are overall and helping you stay cooler than just a pair of wranglers? Most of the reviews I have read are people looking to stay cool in 65-80 degree temps, easy, we climb past that real quick in the desert. Thanks

Try the 5.11 pro -lite pants

$50 at Sportsmans.

And yes, the synthetics are much cooler than jeans / carhardts.

• Like 1

I like all cotton myself for hot/warm weather hunts. I buy a lot of pants at www.sierratradingpost.com. Both for working outside in the summer and hunting too. You can get ripstop cotton Carhartt for cheap. They are either blemishes or discontinued or overstock. I have bought 15+ pair, and only found two with very small stitched up cuts less than 1/2" long each.

If you become a member, you save way more, and get coupons too. I got most of mine for between $15-19 each.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/carhartt-cotton-ripstop-pants-for-men~p~4154d/?filterString=mens-pants-and-jeans~d~143%2Fcarhartt~b~3120%2F&colorFamily=04

If you sign up as a referral, you can get $10 to use on your first purchase.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/invite~4123848/lancetkenyon/

I love Sierra trading. Have bought a lot of boots and socks from them over the years.

Cotton is great for early season hunts when there is no threat of cold temps. A little shower won't hurt if you have a chance to dry off if/when it warms up. Drop the temps and add some more moisture and that's when synthetics and wool come to the frontline. I honestly wouldn't bother spending the extra money unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket if you are concerned about hot weather. Camo BDU's are good probably 75% of the time. All that being said, to date my favorite material is Microtex from Cabelas. That stuff takes a lickin and keeps on tickin! I have KUIU Attack pants and while I like the way those are cut better, the Microtex is a much more durable fabric in my experience. It dries faster too.

I use both the 5.11 and Kuiu. I like the Kuiu for archery, they are extremely quiet and comfortable. For the money I like the 5.11's. They are very comfortable and also really quiet.

I am doing the change over right now, I used to use predator, Russell, cabelas or pretty much any camo out there. Over the last 2 years, I have started wearing more Sitka, core 4 element and recently kuiu. I am SOOOO much more comfortable in these. They breath better, are super quiet and allow you to stretch. Buy a few pairs of each and see for yourself if you like it. I am sure your body will, but your wallet will not..

If you don't need camo check out Eddie bauer guide pants. Cool when it's hot and dry fast. Nice pants for $50 bucks or so.