rossislider

7mm Mag Tikka t3 Load Data?

I finally had the chance this past weekend to get out to Rio Salado and test some of the loads I had worked up for the Tikka t3 7mm Mag I purchased from a member here a short time ago. I have plenty of Retumbo and H4350 that I use for other rifles and would love to find a good load that uses one of these powders. I also hope to shoot Berger 168 grain hunting VLDs. Berger's max load recommendation for that bullet with Retumbo is 71.2 grains. So I worked up the following loads using the 168 grain Berger VLDs with the Retumbo:

4 rounds of 71 grains

4 rounds of 70.5 grains

4 rounds of 70 grains

4 rounds of 69.5 grains

4 rounds of 69 grains

*All rounds were set to my max magazine length which results in a little jump.

I have found that I have the best luck testing Bergers at 200 yards since they tend not to settle in till well past 100 yards. I shot the 71 grain rounds first, and had a good (not great) group that was right at MOA (2 inches). As I dropped down in powder weight the groups seemed to spread out more and more. So my initial thoughts are to stick around 71 grains and see if I can get any improvement. However, my goal is always to get to 1/2 MOA or better with my loads. Clearly this may not be possible with all factory barrels, but it has never stopped me from trying.

My question is, does anyone else here have a Tikka t3 in 7mm Mag, and a load they shoot out of it with great success? Of course every barrel is going to shoot a little different, But I have found that barrels of the same caliber and from the same manufacture tend the shoot similar.

Like I said, I would prefer to stick with Retumbo or H4350 and 168 grain Berger VLDs, but am open to other ideas.

Thanks

how close are you loading them to the lands? start with .040 off and find the best powder charge, then adjust the seating depth. i know with a lot of rifles, the magazines won't fit bergers loaded close to the lands

• Like 1

Im shooting berger vld 168 in my 7mag sendero. Im loading 64.5 of imr 7828. I had a 2.5 inch group at 750 yards on saturday. Good luck.

• Like 2

Im shooting berger vld 168 in my 7mag sendero. Im loading 64.5 of imr 7828. I had a 2.5 inch group at 750 yards on saturday. Good luck.

My Sendero 300 RUM shoots a lot like that, probably the most accurate and consistent gun I have ever owned. The problem is that gun is a beast to carry around. My hope for the Tikka 7mm Mag is a great shooter that is light to pack for those long hike in hunts.

I have always found Bergers load data a bit anemic, if you weren't having any pressure signs I would work up in half grain increments to see if the groups would tighten up even more. Sounds to me like it's on the verge of an accuracy node. Hodgdons data lists 73.5gr max load with a 162 Amax.

• Like 1

68-69 h-4831 and a 140. faster flatter and less wind drift. less kick.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may look into that later on if I can't find the results I want with the 168 grain bullets. For now I'm trying to maximize my energy down range and want to stick with a bullet that is a little heavier. I'm a big guy and don't care much about recoil.

I don't have a t3 but have a 7mm.

Ramshot and H1000 are my go to powders 70.5 and 69.5 grains. I pretty much only load the Ramshot now, it is awesome and very easy to work with since it is a ball powder. The 168's should be just shy of 3000 fps based on my tinkering.

I don't have a t3 but have a 7mm.

Ramshot and H1000 are my go to powders 70.5 and 69.5 grains. I pretty much only load the Ramshot now, it is awesome and very easy to work with since it is a ball powder. The 168's should be just shy of 3000 fps based on my tinkering.

my 7mag load is right at 3000 and is all good.

I have the same rifle. For me:

154 gr SST's, COAL= 3.355", Hornady once fired brass, Remington No. 9 1/2 primers, 65.8 gr IMR 7828 SSC. Just over 0.5" group consistently. Haven't chrono'd, but should be at about 2975 f/s.

• Like 1

68gn Retumbo with 150 Barnes TTSX gives me 2935 fps in my T3 superlite.

68-69 h-4831 and a 140. faster flatter and less wind drift. less kick.

To a certain yardage where game is shot (about 800-850), absolutely correct. Go longer, and things flip flop and really spread out. But energy is lower pretty much across the board.

^^This^^

While the 140gr will remain much flatter than the heavier bullets out quite a ways the wind drift is nearly identical at about 450 yards; with the 168's having the clear advantage beyond that point. Wind drift is the name of the game, the less you have the more likely you are to hit what you aim at.