Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

Early season bears?

23s will be closed wed.

Will K, nice meeting you guys up there, congrats on the bear!

Bryan

Looks like this is going to the new trend for 23

If it closes it closes, that is the function of the sow quota. It will re-open again, unless the annual quota was reached.

• Like 2

The annual qouta is not hard to fill when hunters and guides kill 75 pound sows. I herd of two that were killed in 23s didn't brake 100 pounds. Sad

• Like 3

How about if you shoot s sow you must wait 2 years to hunt bear again? I have nothing against people shooting whatever us legal. It's their tag. But maybe it would keep seasons open a little longer. Just a thought.

• Like 3

How about if you shoot s sow you must wait 2 years to hunt bear again? I have nothing against people shooting whatever us legal. It's their tag. But maybe it would keep seasons open a little longer. Just a thought.

that is something that needs to happen for sure. it would probably make people size up the bears a little better before they decide to shoot one. i have no idea why someone would want to shoot a small bear? can't show it off, rugs look ridiculous, if you like eating bears, there is next to zero meat on a small on. maybe you could make a hat, or a toilet seat cover out of one? i've killed one bear, about 200-220lb boar i figured and i was a little hesitant to have him rugged out. i will not shoot another one unless he is great big. no sense in having a "trophy room" littered with cub rugs on the wall. bears really have a lot of "ground shrinkage". seeing pictures of people with bears that are the same size as the gun or bow in the picture drives me crazy

• Like 2

The annual qouta is not hard to fill when hunters and guides kill 75 pound sows. I herd of two that were killed in 23s didn't brake 100 pounds. Sad

I saw one little one shot in 23 but hey it happens. Small bears seem to be more emotional than small deer but as far as the quota goes it really doesn't matter the size and people get excited. I can't really blame them bears are awesome and most people never see one. I wish they would add some rules like the ones you guys outlined. I also wish deer were fork or better, they don't have to go overboard, no draw for you the next year. Most people would never get checked or caught anyway but they would at least think about it.

I never found a bear this trip but heard a few parties had good success. Standard stuff, go bear hunting and see lot's of deer. :D

• Like 1

The sad part it was a client of a guide. That's what sucks. I don't have any bad feelings with guides but some just want the quick dollar it seems.

First bear hunt in a while - got pounded by rains a couple nights -

one big camp/ group of dog hunters - at least 15-20 dogs - seen dogs crossing roads several times each day

heard they had on small bear by sunday

great to get out but with all the rain was tough hunt

I went solo and glassed a nice Brown Phase bear opening morning at 375 yards.Not a monster but I had a clear shot right away however I hadn't looked for cubs yet and it was around some really thick brush, so I did what I thought was the right thing and grabbed the glass and spent 10 to 15 minutes looking around the bear which was chokin down manzanita berries. Once I determined the bear was solo I watched/listened mostly it feed its was down the slope onto my side of the canyon, I last saw it walking towards really thick brush about 400 yrds away until I lost it. Never heard or saw it come out. Iv been back everyday since with no luck But I have a feelin he will be back. Its hard to sit though when the next three little pockets of the canyon look the exact same as this one. Should I sit where I saw him or try and cover more ground and hit each pocket each day. This was my first experience glassing up a bear and I feel like if it's within 500 yards I will hear it before I ever see it at least in this country. Do you guys usually Burn one area with the glass all day trying to pick it apart (like I would Whitetails) or do you glass for a while and move on to the next spot. I'm just not sure which would be better for bears.

I went solo and glassed a nice Brown Phase bear opening morning at 375 yards.Not a monster but I had a clear shot right away however I hadn't looked for cubs yet and it was around some really thick brush, so I did what I thought was the right thing and grabbed the glass and spent 10 to 15 minutes looking around the bear which was chokin down manzanita berries. Once I determined the bear was solo I watched/listened mostly it feed its was down the slope onto my side of the canyon, I last saw it walking towards really thick brush about 400 yrds away until I lost it. Never heard or saw it come out. Iv been back everyday since with no luck But I have a feelin he will be back. Its hard to sit though when the next three little pockets of the canyon look the exact same as this one. Should I sit where I saw him or try and cover more ground and hit each pocket each day. This was my first experience glassing up a bear and I feel like if it's within 500 yards I will hear it before I ever see it at least in this country. Do you guys usually Burn one area with the glass all day trying to pick it apart (like I would Whitetails) or do you glass for a while and move on to the next spot. I'm just not sure which would be better for bears.

bears are extremely nomadic. they just wander around without much rhyme or reason. if they are there, they are easy to spot. not like coues where they could be laying in the open all day and you just miss them. They also have a MUCH larger "home range" than most animals. if he is not there, move, not in the 2nd spot? move.

• Like 4

Thanks Grey Ghost, I am headed out this evening I think I will try on focusing on covering more ground, and work my way spot to spot until I get to the area I saw him and hit it last during "Prime Time". Good Luck to everyone else still Chasin!

The sad part it was a client of a guide. That's what sucks. I don't have any bad feelings with guides but some just want the quick dollar it seems.

I don't believe he was a customer of the guide. I talked to those guys a lot (unless it was a different guide, same situation) I believe it was a friend of theirs but he was out on his own. He was super excited, which was nice to see as with any hunter, even with his crew razzing him all along.

• Like 2

So when will we know if it will open back up on the 21st

if it were to close for the year the message would say yearly quota was met, if not it will open on the next scheduled hunt.

I just called the harvest line and there were no closures... you guys are sneaky..haha

James