Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

whats you longest bloodtrail to a kill?

archery, rifle, muzzleloader, whatever. for me it was an archery antelope, 6 hours. hit him facing me in the front shoulder, it broke his leg it was just flopping but he kept going for about 5 miles. in thick junipers, button hooked and looped around a lot.

They all dropped in their tracks even my archery elk! There was one Coues that was 10 steps from where it was standing when I shot I, no tracking involved since I could see it from my shooting position.

Ernesto C

ive had great success with elk kills but that dang antelope was a tough son of a bitch

I hear yah on the antelope. Shot mine in Wyoming last year at 450 but mis calculated the wind drift and took out his right front leg and shoulder. Sucker ran for a mile and half

Mine was also an archery antelope. Someone told me before the hunt that antelope are not tough and would go down easily. That was not my experience. I shot this buck twice including one to the back of the head and it proceeded to run for two miles. I finally snuck up on it again after it bedded down and put a 3rd arrow in it. That antelope was the toughest animal I have ever hunted. The elk (5) and deer (8) that i have shot with a bow have gone down fast.

Maybe 150 yards on a slick tricked javelina.

My muzzleloader antelope ran for 2 hours after being mortally wounded by a 250 grain sst. Fortunately we could see him the whole time and were able to put another one in the bread basket.

• Like 1

A javalina that turned at the sound of the shot. Arrow drilled into its head just below the eye. Traveled down the throat into the heart. Died after 500 yards but left very little blood, just a drop every 20 yards. Took awhile but we finally found her.

Ok my best was 2 feet!!! Buck froze when the arrow passed through, couldn't belive it. First buck as well. Was hooked after that

My personal longest tracking job was about 500 yards on an archery javi. Well placed shot, just a tough as nails pig.

I have gone up and helped friends find game they could not find.

One deer was easily 1/2 mile.

The absolute longest trail I ever followed covered over a mile and a half on an archery elk. Took two days to find with small drops after a great initial trail. But we recovered him on the third day, while he was bedded up. We snuck up within 20 yards, and he couldn't get up. A second arrow finished him. He would not have made it another day, and would have been lost if we would have given up. The meat was still good except for around the shot had started to turn. Sadly (or luckily for the meat), he lived 2 painful days with an arrow in him. I still can't believe coyotes did not get to him before we did.