Sign in to follow this  
Ed67

Bullet selection

Looking for experienced opinions on bullet selection for my 270 wsm. My wife has an early rifle bull hunt coming up and the area we will be hunting her shots will likely be 100 yards or less. I have 140 grain nosler accubonds and 150 grain Berger vld loaded. Which one do you believe would be best for closer shots? Thanks.

Also, both shoot well out of my Remington 700

Of the two you listed I would pick the accubond. I shoot the 130 swift scirocco and the 129 barnes lrx out of my 270 wsm and would highly recommend either.

• Like 1

Both great bullets. I will usually opt for the heavier bullet as it will tend to retain more energy over greater distances. But at the short range you suggest, you might have a little more speed and energy with the lighter bullet. Still, I'd go with Berger. But they are my favorite bullets so I'll admit to some bias. I'd just suggest staying away from something like Barnes for short range shooting. Not speaking from personal experience, but I'm told and have seen cases where they tend to not open up at short range.

Thanks Lance that was initially my first choice and I've shot coues deer with it but due to its hollow point design I was skeptical for close range elk. Is it more of a solid deep penetrating bullet even though it's a hollow point?

The 150 or 160 gr. Partition, the 160 gr. works very well, or the TTSX.

Iny Meany mining Mo! Whatever which one you pick will work great

• Like 1

100 yards or less it shouldn't matter. I would look at something like a Nosler partition or some other more blunt bullet, even a round nose. Transfer as much energy as possible.