Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

Finally got it done this morning

Congratulations on a very nice bull, way to stick with it and get it done.

Great Bull! Way to get it done. Do you really think it is a "bad " rut? I think at the G and F have just structured this hunt so early now that they are barely getting going for archery hunters. Those muzzy and early rifle guys have it made. My first archery hunt started around the 20th and went until the end of the month. It seemed to make a huge difference in activity. Just my opinion though

IMO one of theain reasons we don't seem to see the rut activity the way we used to on these early archery hunts has a lot to do with the weather. I've hunted for about 30 years in 1,27,3C and 10. In the late 80s thru the 90s you had better have packed some warm clothes. It would freeze about every night and felt like fall. The aspens were always turned and the rut activity was phenomenal. Last year during my unit 1 archery hunt I never wore a jacket of any kind. It honestly felt like summer. And for the most part the elk were not very vocal at all. I know they still have to rut but I believe the colder the weather the better the bugling and activity. Also, there are a lot more people nowadays that go up and I'm sure that contributes as well. By the way, very nice bull and that's really cool that you were able to stay on him for several days and finally got er done. Congrats

I would have to agree that the hunt seems to be a bit early but even last year and the year past they seemed to be bugling much better. It was just too hot this year. The few mornings that it was cooler (below 50) it was like someone flipped a switch and they bugled good. If it was hotter than that in the morning, which it was 90% of the days they bugled very little and stopped bugling really early. My bull yesterday was going nuts but that's because there were 30 cows and 5 other bulls following him around I think. I think the rifle hunters are gonna have a great hunt because they are finally bugling well.

• Like 1

Nice bull, Blake! I was bear hunting in 22 a couple of weeks ago and I had elk bugling non-stop for a day and a half! Don't know if that is good or bad for a rut, but about 6-7 bulls never let up and ruined every stand I called for bear!

Awesome bull! I know that unit can be tough at times. Congrats! and way to stick with it

Stud.