Sign in to follow this  
mc68

What's the big deal

I go out and walk over the same areas week after week for many months. I do the same thing in other units over the last few years. Funny thing I notice is there are no other footprints but mine. Lots of fresh tire tracks on the roads, but no human tracks.

Of course, the units I am spending most my time are lousy no good units with only a few meager critters that are so small and pathetic that they are not worth the time for most self respecting hunters.

In reading some of the posts it seems as though "secret" is the main thing. I guess I'm confused by what is secret about saying what unit you hunted? I mean take a couple of the outfitters on this site, they are very open about what area they hunt, no big deal. I can definitely understand someone's favorite spot in a unit but just don't get why the unit itself is such a big deal? I must apologize, my little pea brain just can't figure this out...hope to see some pics of great bulls taken on the early hunts starting tomorrow. Who knows, I might even have the audacity to ask what unit if its not stated!!! No hope for me huh?!:)

Guest 300ultramag.

In reading some of the posts it seems as though "secret" is the main thing. I guess I'm confused by what is secret about saying what unit you hunted? I mean take a couple of the outfitters on this site, they are very open about what area they hunt, no big deal. I can definitely understand someone's favorite spot in a unit but just don't get why the unit itself is such a big deal? I must apologize, my little pea brain just can't figure this out...hope to see some pics of great bulls taken on the early hunts starting tomorrow. Who knows, I might even have the audacity to ask what unit if its not stated!!! No hope for me huh?! :)

dont over think it. its a choice. I would assume an educated one at that.

• Like 1

Im in the same boat, never really got why people refuse to share a unit. I mostly hunt 27 in the summer and 24b or 33 in the winter. If someone can find my treestand/ground blind from that, they're a pretty impressive detective. ... and they have way too much free time on their hands.

Before the internet it wasn't much of a big deal to say what unit and there were less hunters, fewer hunts and more game. Now every Tom, Dic and Harry can spend a Saturday afternoon using GOOGLE searches to come up with pictures and stories then narrow down units. The more people put in for a unit the more the odds of getting drawn decrease.

Some peoples initial response when a hunter posts a picture right off the bat is "what unit", not even a "congrats" which irks most people. Kind of like being on a hunting FB page and some clown shows up and their first post is all about hunting their high fence ranch, or worse selling cheap sunglasses. If a hunter offers up what unit on their own that's fine but it shouldn't be asked publicly.

Lots of people would be willing to switch units in a heartbeat if they thought they would have a better chance at taking a quality animal. Seasoned veterans understand it's hard work that finds mature animals year and year and unit plays less to do with it. No one really wants more applicants flocking to "your" unit, so what would be the benefit to the successful hunter of a monster buck to post what unit it came from on the net? Most people get their info from the web, the research you can do online is endless and it has undoubtedly made better hunters out of most of us and has also steered our choices.

Do you think if a ton of monster bucks came out of 36C and all these bucks had 36C posted right next to them, there would be left over tags yr after yr? What if you happen to apply for a unit that is not a guaranteed draw, do you really want the odds to get worse?

I think this is really a no brainer.

I love to see deer posted on line, I thoroughly enjoy all pictures big or small, seasoned veteran or a first timer. But I understand why people do not want to share some of the details...... Public land hunting can be ROUGH.....

• Like 8

Lots of people would be willing to switch units in a heartbeat if they thought they would have a better chance at taking a quality animal. Seasoned veterans understand it's hard work that finds mature animals year and year and unit plays less to do with it. No one really wants more applicants flocking to "your" unit, so what would be the benefit to the successful hunter of a monster buck to post what unit it came from on the net? Most people get their info from the web, the research you can do online is endless and it has undoubtedly made better hunters out of most of us and has also steered our choices.

Do you think if a ton of monster bucks came out of 36C and all these bucks had 36C posted right next to them, there would be left over tags yr after yr? What if you happen to apply for a unit that is not a guaranteed draw, do you really want the odds to get worse?

I think this is really a no brainer.

I love to see deer posted on line, I thoroughly enjoy all pictures big or small, seasoned veteran or a first timer. But I understand why people do not want to share some of the details...... Public land hunting can be ROUGH.....

You raise an excellent point. I don't worry about draw odds as I never rifle hunt, so really didn't even think of it that way.

Okay I'm gonna chime in a little. Whenever someone posts a pic people start dissecting it looking at the background and terrain grass rocks etc. If you know the unit sometimes you can figure it out. People sometimes will just put in for a unit cuz someone got that kind of animal there then try to get a hold of them just to be pointed in the right direction and say I don't want honey holes just point me. And they won't have a clue where to start. I don't spend 200 plus days a year and tons of gas money and boot leather just to give them away to someone who doesn't want to do the work. My family has to deal with me away from home and I know its tough on them

• Like 1

Not to mention...it surprises me, and each year it seems to be more and more, how residents put in for units they've never stepped foot in before. Non res I get, but locals? Then they come online and want advice. Why would they ever put in for that unit with no intention of scouting it at all? Maybe they saw a pic with a unit# next to it. Idk. But when I see this and its a hunt I normally put in for, and don't draw.....Yeah, it's annoying.

• Like 1

I'm just glad people share their stories and pics of the hunts with the rest of us. To me, it does not matter what unit the animal came from, I don't care- just glad I can enjoy some of the fruits of the hunter's labor.

Not to mention...it surprises me, and each year it seems to be more and more, how residents put in for units they've never stepped foot in before. Non res I get, but locals? Then they come online and want advice. Why would they ever put in for that unit with no intention of scouting it at all? Maybe they saw a pic with a unit# next to it. Idk. But when I see this and its a hunt I normally put in for, and don't draw.....Yeah, it's annoying.

I got introduced to this site because I transposed numbers on my paper application and got drawn for 36B whitetail........I googled....and I asked questions....

Pretty funny the responses I got of this site back then......I understand...I get it....but i sure am glad somebody gave me some help so I could get some pre-hunt scouting in.

I had what I would have called a honey hole for deer and bear. Easily 3 different bears frequented the area as well as 4-5 bucks plus about 6 does at any given time. I shot 3 bucks within the same 50 yard radius in a 5 year period. It is an amazing spot. Just hidden from view unless you are right on top of it. LOTS of oak and grass as the slope of the mountain made for perfect drainage and it was right next to a steep drop off where no one but the deer are willing to run. I have had (2) cameras in the area for 6 years now.

There was a set of new hunters 3 years ago I got on a cam and now there are about 5 more....someone even tried to build a water hole (near) this spot.

This year there are no bucks and the bears were pushed out- too much activity. With the amount of people that hunt the area now I doubt it will ever be the same. I thought it would be so fun to take my girls in a blind out there and tag a deer....can't do that now

Two examples to understand why some won't give unit numbers. Back in the 80's before we had a draw for deer and it was over the counter tags. My dad uncle, and I all tagged out on deer. My uncles picture was in the paper as well a a brief story with the general location, it was a nice healthy deer for NM. The next year we were overrun with hunters because of it.

The next example is elk hunting I had a unit I would draw every other year. There were about 500 resident hunters putting in for 150 tags. Then a hunting show aired showing, with a "general description" of west-central NM, of a nice bull getting killed. The next year there were 1500 resident hunters putting in for the same 150 tags so draw odds went way down. The bad thing is I know the unit where the hunt took place and it is not the unit I put in for.

So I won't put it out on a public forum that anybody can access but I don't mind keeping it private if I can help somebody out.

• Like 2