Sign in to follow this  
mc68

What's the big deal

Well I want to thank those who have replied to this thread. The answers I got are basically what I expwcted. I just will have to go on thinking that one day we can put more trust in each other. Best of luck to all those with upcoming hunts. Please post pics and stories and maybe even the unit!!:)

Well I want to thank those who have replied to this thread. The answers I got are basically what I expwcted. I just will have to go on thinking that one day we can put more trust in each other. Best of luck to all those with upcoming hunts. Please post pics and stories and maybe even the unit!!:)

I am confused by your comments about trust. This isn't a trust issue in my mind. It's a matter of letting others do work the same way I do mine. I don't believe it's unethical for someone to use the info I freely give them.

To that point, yes Casey, I told them. I also told the tag holders from this year what I knew about the unit if they contacted me. But I sure as heck wasn't going to write up all the details in a public forum.

• Like 2

Sparky, you didn't put a comma between dad and uncle. Is it the same guy? Like Casey and his dad uncle grandpa? Just needed a little clarification. Casey needs a banjo pal too. My ol man was so secretive about his secret places that it was a sin to even say which direction we went. Lark.

Well my relatives are from Arkansas so I was probably hitting the homemade hooch too much for my fingers to keep up. So I might be Roy Clark to his Buck Trent but I will never be Ned Beatty. ;)

mc68, I'm glad you asked/started this thread. In the past I've talked about which unit I'm hunting in the open forum, but this discussion made me rethink that. Not anymore because I definitely trust that any and all information I share on the public forum will be used. Thanks. Seriously, I appreciate it.

Flatlander the reason I say its a trust issue is because I honestly do not believe many people are using this site to try and find out what unit people are hunting. I think we are far more important in our own minds than we actually are. Most folks have their favorite areas and that's where they hunt, not because Joe Blow shot a nice buck somewhere so they are gonna chase pics and stories around. Thanks for replying, this is just my thoughts.

Flatlander the reason I say its a trust issue is because I honestly do not believe many people are using this site to try and find out what unit people are hunting. I think we are far more important in our own minds than we actually are. Most folks have their favorite areas and that's where they hunt, not because Joe Blow shot a nice buck somewhere so they are gonna chase pics and stories around. Thanks for replying, this is just my thoughts.

I think you are seriously underestimating how many people there are in the world.
  • Like 2

I honestly do not believe many people are using this site to try and find out what unit people are hunting. Most folks have their favorite areas and that's where they hunt, not because Joe Blow shot a nice buck somewhere so they are gonna chase pics and stories around.

dude, are you serious? i bet 9/10 found this site to scout a unit and i already have a couple new awesome deer spots that i got from the background of people pics posted on here. just straight poached them

• Like 1

I dont think I'm important at all but I know several folks on this site and myself get numerous request from folks every year thru pm's for information about past hunts based on us posting what unit we hunted. I had a request for info about a hunt this year that I posted originaly in 2009 about unit 27. Your thought process about how many use just the unit info for where to put in is flawed.

secrets usually don't last long if you tell someone.... look at strategy on the deer draw.... put in for a trophy unit if you don't draw buy a leftover...

now you can't even do that..

James

I get PM after PM after PM when I post pictures of deer/elk etc... I usually post pictures under unit specific threads etc...Tons of people search individual units and ask questions of all of those posting that seem to know the unit. I really don't care too much, I've made some great friends over the years, this way, but I don't hand out all my info just because someone asks on an internet forum.

• Like 1

Well I want to thank those who have replied to this thread. The answers I got are basically what I expwcted. I just will have to go on thinking that one day we can put more trust in each other. Best of luck to all those with upcoming hunts. Please post pics and stories and maybe even the unit!! :)

I used to be more trusting of strangers than I am now. It's something that has evolved with age, experience and wisdom. Sure, I love this site for the opportunity to learn from each other's experience, see great photos, hear awesome stories...kind of a virtual family. There are several folks on here I have never met, but feel I know them...their character, by their posts, and I feel I could trust them. But rest assured, there are plenty in the hunting community that are constantly e-scouting. I didn't put much stock in it until last year. My hunt area was overrun with 4x the usual number of hunters due to a post.....I know it to be fact because I heard it from a couple of them. Why do you think game camera/SD card theft and sabotage is epidemic? If these folks will steal and destroy property, they will surely glean information from others. Most may not change units, but they will definitely key in on a different area based on information.

Again guys, thank you for your input. It has been interesting to me. I must admit I used to be extremely secretive about all of my hunting endeavors. I too felt like everyone was trying to find my spots. For me, I have learned that im just not that important in the grand scheme of things. I have my favorite spots and when I get the chance, which isn't very often, I hunt them. I have no desire to troll around on this or any other site trying to figure out someone else's spots. I feel very confident in my abilities and have come to the point in my hunting career that the hunt and memories far outweigh the size of horns. I still look for the big boys but am not crushed if its not in the cards for me that season. I really have grown to appreciate the outfitters that so openly advertise before, during, and after the hunt the unit they hunt. Even with soooo many people knowing that Shane Koury hunts 3C, he continues to put big critters on the ground. I like the philosophy that it doesn't matter if people know what unit I'm in, I just do what I know and it seems to work out. It reminds me of sports, you know Tom Brady is gonna throw the ball 40+ times a game but he just does his thing and does it very very well. I admire that.I'm not gonna change hunting somewhere I love, I will just adapt. Thank you all and I hope you have a great hunting year and that no one sees where you are hunting. :)

Huge difference between outfitters and individuals. Knowing a unit may not lessen the quality of animals but it sure lowers the draw odds for an individual. An outfitter doesn't care, there are x amount of tags every year, they don't care how hard it was for Joe to draw. Actually maybe they do, if it is harder to draw the more likely one might retain their services.

• Like 1

Secrets are one thing helping someone out is another. The help and info I receive from people on this site never gets shared with anyone else. But if I can help those same people I will . Also the more you help the more help you get. PM sent