Sign in to follow this  
lamrith

Flying southwest with Rifle

I am curious if anyone here can share some experience with flying southwest with a rifle specifically? I have flown with firearms before but always pistol which is pretty simple.

SW has bags fly free but based on the website the measurements for oversize are smaller (62" total of L+W+H) than pretty much every rifle case ever created. That means $75/each way. I am hoping maybe someone has some expperience and maybe they have relaxed that like most of the other airlines have?

I was planning to use a golf hardcase, but the way it would be packed would be beyond problematice in terms of the TSA screening so I am not going to try that route.

Any input would be appreciated.

We have never had a problem flying with a gun case, shotguns or rifles no problem. Make sure the Ammo is in either factory ammo box or if you reload have a ammo box for your reloads, they don't like loose loads in plastic bags. Make sure it is locked with TSA approved lock or they may cut it off.

I don't ever remember being charge extra for a gun case either.

• Like 1

the TSA approved lock is the part I disagree with. I just flew to Denver and back with rifles. They check them out when you check them in, then you lock them up. I remember it saying non-TSA lock.

Like said above... No problems, no extra fees. The TSA approved lock is something I would go with just to ensure no problems.. Some airports deal with firearms more than others, those are the airports that seem to be more "by the book".

Have fun! Travel Safe!

My buddy just got back from an antelope hunt in Wyoming and flew Southwest. He had a larger rectangular gun case (not sure the size) and they didn't say anything about the size. It counted as one of his (2) free bags. He didn't have a "TSA" lock, just a regular key lock. He had to check it in, inside. He opened it up for them so they could put an little inspection card in it. He relocked it and then took it to another special counter and put it on the belt to be loaded. He said it was super easy. Ammo went in the case w/ the rifle. They didn't say he had to but be pulled the bolt out and laid it separately in the case. Hope this helps.

It is really simple. No extra fees on SWA. When checking in your rifle you open it up and they take a look at it. Then they ask you to lock it. TSA lock is not needed. They call a TSA guy over and they walk you and your rifle over to the TSA counter and you drop off your rifle. When you land you pick up your rifle at the Southwest baggage desk. Easy

I NEVER use TSA locks. Last time I read the website it said they are a highly encouraged OPTIONAL item. They don't need access to my guns. If they need to get into they case after they inspect it they can find me and I will unlock it.

I have flown probably a dozen times without TSA locks and never had a problem. Most of them were pistols in my bag, but I have flown with rifles too and never had an issue.

The TSA website does not say anywhere on it that they are required on there traveling with firearms page.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that takes a major stress level off!! Per SW website they hit for anything over 62" total so I was wondering and trying to come up with backup plans. It will be much nicer to not have to worry about it!

I will back folks up though NO TSA LOCKS. By federal law only the gun owner is to know combination or have keys to access the firearm. Some may not realize but it is not only TSA that has the keys for those special locks, lots and lots of people have them. That does not mean TSA might not call you and demand the combo or keys but LEGALLY they are not to have them outside of your supervision. however they know they have you over a barrel in terms of making your flight etc so can be a tough battle. There are Ferderal laws that specifically address the locks and access to the firearm during travel. I will pull it up again when I get home and link here for everyone that might be interested.

I have been told it "can" be helpefull to have a bunch of documentation printed and with you when traveling. So if someone (airoline check-in agent) starts pushing or saying things that are wrong you "document download" on them. Often that will let them know that you know the facts and they back off. TSA though.. that is another anmal...

Thanks again for all the input. it is greatly appreciated!

I snuck on at work and tracked the regs down...

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=5419e6f210dbc16047f04611e9b8bbf7&mc=true&node=se49.9.1540_1111&rgn=div8

Title 49: Transportation, Part 1540 – Civil Aviation Security: General Rules, Subpart B – Responsibilities of Passengers and Other Individuals and Persons, 1540.111 © (iv) - The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

Title 49: Transportation, Part 1544 – Aircraft Operator Security: Air Carriers and Commercial Operators, Subpart C – Operations, 1544.203 (f) (iii) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the individual checking the baggage retains the key or combination;

As mentioned this does not mean the TSA will not break Federal law, but being polite, producing documentation and asking for a supervisor and informing them of Federal law with documentation may help.

My buddy had locks cut off before...not southwest..

Yeah I have heard fo that before as well. Technically not supposed to do that, but again TSA sort of has their own agenda many times it seems.

You guys really made my day, I was seriously worried about the size restriction ($75 each way adds up fast). Maybe they have changed to 62" length not total and have just not updated the website. I know some other airlines did that in the last few years. I will just roll with it!

flew to MT and killed some good bucks, got meat processed and hard froze pack into cooler and paid extra baggage to get home, caped off head froze and pack in carry on (did get a strange look at check in from a very limb wristed flight attendant), split horns and packed them into bags, everything went smooth

I've flown Southwest only once, and will never fly it again. It does not reserve seats and it believes every passenger has a smart phone with 24/7 access to the internet. I do not, and I am willing to pay baggage fees to get an aisle seat near the front of the plane.

Bill Quimby