Sign in to follow this  
C.Shoemaker

Elk heart

Slice it about 3/8 inch thick and soak it in salt water over night. Remove for water and pat dry. Roll in seasoned flour, fry in vegetable oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Good stuff!

• Like 1

Slice it up, throw in a skillet with some onions, a splash of red wine or bourbon and enjoy!

• Like 1

I like the pine board pit recipe my self, but if you actually want to eat it then make sure the arteries are clean. Removing them makes it tender. If your prone to gout then compost the heart. If not it's good with butter and onions or stewed in a chili.

Cut it up on chunks, simmer in a nice spaghetti sauce , I like mine made from scratch, cook up some of you favorite pasta and prepare to eat more then you should of. Every one will love it

My brother corns them.. Like corned beef. I little bit more work. Shaves it thin afterwards and makes sandwiches you cant buy in any restaurant.

The meat eater tv show had a whole episode dedicated to cooking heart. I've tried must of the recipes from the show and they were all good.

my wife takes elk heart, trims everything that ain't meat away, the veins, chamber lining, that thick fat lookin' stuff, down to where it is just the muscle. cuts it up into little cubes, like 3/8", maybe 1/2", then she browns it in a skillet and uses it in a celery base stew with onions, taters and carrots. while it's cookin' she makes a big batch o' cracked wheat bread that is done at the same time. i've literally seen fist fights over it. it's a big time tradition around our place in elk season. dang, i'm slobberin' on the key board jus thinkin' about it. Lark.

I love to fry mine. Clean it up like all the above have said. Slice thin, dip in egg, then flour and throw it into a hot skillet with some oil.

Other than tenderloin, heart is my favorite. I prefer it more than backstrap. I love the texture and flavor it has. Great stuff.

• Like 1