justinspe25

Went out with a bang and a Coues!

It been a long time since I had something to post on here. After a couple year drought I closed the deal this year. My bro inlaw/hunting partner and I hunted hard the 6 days of the hunt and had a few opportunities at bucks that just didn't pan out, but it was exciting find bucks and not just does and fawns the whole time. Long story short we hunted this 3x3 for 3 days and he gave us the slip every time, they truly are like ghosts. My bro inlaw had to leave Wednesday afternoon empty handed. So I had one evening and a day left to get it done.

Thursday morning I would be by myself so I decided to hike this trail that may provide an opportunity. As I was leaving for the mountain i could see the storm rolling in, and I thought well this could get interesting. I got to the trail head about 6:30am as it started to rain and lightning. Well I decided to stick with it and headed off. I was just walking along real slow looking for movement, and getting soaked. As I came around this corner I look up the hill to my right and see a deer laying down staring at me. I put my binos on him and sure enough it’s a deer chilling out eating his breakfast just watching me, oh and it was a buck. I really couldn't believe it. I pull my rifle up to shoot and thought wait a minute he is not going anywhere and i don't want to miss this guy, so i kneel and rest the rifle on a rock and settle the cross hairs on his shoulder and boom. He vanished for a second then was rolling down the hill right to me. He ended up landing about 10 yards up the trail from me. After making sure he was dead and sent out some texts and made a call to my wife and told her the news. I dressed him out, secured my pack, threw him up my shoulders and trekked on out of there. What a awesome experience all on my own, I used all of the things I have learned from this site and from friends and family over the years.

post-2218-0-36192400-1446759168_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-34072900-1446759213_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-73891000-1446759260_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Congrats on a successful hunt. Nice job sticking with it by yourself and in the rain none the less... I hate hunting in the rain.

Congrats on getting it done!