Sign in to follow this  
Jawa512

Optics?????

Preface:

I am climbing the optics ladder. I started out with some off the shelf Walmart style stuff. Last year, I upgraded to both a Nikon ED50 spotting scope and Bushnell Legend Ultra 10 x42 bins. I used this setup last year in 36A for mule deer. Once I employed these, I decided the Nikon did not have the power I needed for some of the glassing locations I was using (with 20/20 hindsight, I should have kept this scope). I got rid of the Nikon and went with a Vanguard 15-45 x 65. The reviews on this unit were good. I understood it was not a Swaro but… I also kept hearing about the Vortex Vipers. I decided I wanted to upgrade the Bushnells. I elected to change from 10X to 8X. I ended up with Vortex Viper 8 x 42’s.

Style:

I enjoy glassing for hours. I use a tripod. I prefer to spend my time on the bins . I use the spotting scope to identify anomalies. I also like having the spotting scope for those days I end up at the local public shooting range. Also I am NOT the category of hunter that needs to differentiate between a 100 and 110 class buck. If its in either of those , I would be happy!

Dilemma:

Off I went to 30A for Coues with the Vanguard and the Vortex’s. I hunted (glassed) hard for days. I would glass up the occasional deer. Concerned that the binos weren’t enough power, I transitioned to the scope and the optical difference was astounding. Quite honestly, the spotting scope stayed in the pack quite a bit once I identified that the Vanguard was not on par with the Vortex’s. I love my bins!

On the last day I hunted I ran into a guy with Kaibabs and it put my mind to wondering. I decided I needed to change out my optics again. With that in mind, I am not in the top tier range yet. I can imagine $1000 as my max spend right now.

I have never looked through the top tier stuff but I have never sat in a Corvette either. If I can’t afford it, I am not going there. So I began the search for optics to replace the Vanguard. With my preference for binoculars and without the necessity for the really high power optics, I am really intrigued by the Vortex Viper 15 X 50. These seem to be in the price range I am looking at and appear to be the upgrade in power I am looking for. I am looking at reviews but I would love to hear from Coues hunters who have thoughts on them as looking for Coues is different than looking at a Red Headed Cockheaded Woodpecker.

Thanks for your thoughts

My advice would be to save an aditional 400 and buy some used swaro 15's and nkt have to upgrade again until you want the 12x50 or go to the hd model

• Like 2

I glass with 10x42 Swaro El's and also carry Nikon's Ed82 25-75x82 spotting scope that I use when I locate game. I would not hunt without a scope personally. This last weekend in 36a, we needed the scope probably close to 20 times a day to grow spikes on little bucks at distance. 15's will not replace a good spotting scope.

• Like 1

I know this is not what you want to hear, but you are far better off saving your money and buying a used pair of Swarovski SLC bino's over buying Vortex Vipers or any Vortex bino. There is a reason you see so many people selling their Vortex bino's after only a few years. Most people realize for a little extra money they can buy the best and not the 2nd best.

You should always buy what you can afford, but in the case of glass you should always buy the best. You will see more game and bring home more meat with quality glass.

You will thank yourself later after buying them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 7

Biggest bang for your buck with great glass is the Cabela's euros.

This is a copy paste from Lancetkenyon that he messages me. He has spent tons of hours between the top brands. Lance I hope you don't mind that I post this?

"I have the Cabela's Euro 15x56 by Meopta. LOVE them. I have used them side by side, and the only difference I can see between them and the Swaro SLC HDs is at the very edge, maybe 1/8". Color and clarity is on par other than that. And for just over 1/2 the price, to me, it was a no brainer."

Sent January 19 2015 - 10:35 PM

"Above Zeiss Conquest HD, below Zeiss Victory HT. BARELY below Swaro SLC HD. I mean BARELY. If Swaro made the EL in a 15X, they would sell them by the truckload."

"Again, for me, I got my 15x56 Meopta for $1600 with a $100 gift card, $100 off, 10% cash back, and two $25 gift cards. So like $410 off. So I paid $1300 out the door. Half of the price of Swaro SLC HDs without tax. Look for offers from Cabela's, and you can score some amazing deals."

If I where you just save up a little more than your 1000 dollar budget and buy those. Good luck !

• Like 1

My advice would be to save an aditional 400 and buy some used swaro 15's and nkt have to upgrade again until you want the 12x50 or go to the hd model

I know this is not what you want to hear, but you are far better off saving your money and buying a used pair of Swarovski SLC bino's over buying Vortex Vipers or any Vortex bino. There is a reason you see so many people selling their Vortex bino's after only a few years. Most people realize for a little extra money they can buy the best and not the 2nd best.

You should always buy what you can afford, but in the case of glass you should always buy the best. You will see more game and bring home more meat with quality glass.

^^^^ this and this ^^^^ " buy once cry once "
  • Like 1

Swarovskis are great but they do not make game appear that aren't there regardless what anyone hear tells you. As with all things, you have to ask yourself if spending more is worth it or justified based in how much you'll use them. You don't need to spend $1500 or more on one set of binos or any other optics if you are ok with shooting the average deer. It astounds me how many people brag about spending thousands of dollars on a single gun and another few thousand on optics only to shoot little deer. I'd just go back to the Walmart goods and road hunt and use the money elsewhere if that's all you want to shoot. But if you want to really get serious or think you will at some point, buy what makes YOU happy and pay what YOU are willing to live with. I try and find a balance between price and realistic use. It's just like buying a corvette cause your buddies say it's cool, only to realize you should've spent the money on a 4x4 truck you'd use ten times as much, and pay less for too.

• Like 1

agree with everything except vortex being 2nd best.theyre like 6th if anything

• Like 6

Swarovskis are great but they do not make game appear that aren't there regardless what anyone hear tells you. As with all things, you have to ask yourself if spending more is worth it or justified based in how much you'll use them. You don't need to spend $1500 or more on one set of binos or any other optics if you are ok with shooting the average deer. It astounds me how many people brag about spending thousands of dollars on a single gun and another few thousand on optics only to shoot little deer. I'd just go back to the Walmart goods and road hunt and use the money elsewhere if that's all you want to shoot. But if you want to really get serious or think you will at some point, buy what makes YOU happy and pay what YOU are willing to live with. I try and find a balance between price and realistic use. It's just like buying a corvette cause your buddies say it's cool, only to realize you should've spent the money on a 4x4 truck you'd use ten times as much, and pay less for too.

dude wtf. so much wrong in this i dont know where to begin.

• Like 4

Wait until January or February when the hunts are done and Christmas present bills start hitting CC's. Used optics will be flooding the Classifieds.

• Like 2

Buy my 12x50's i have for sale at $950 and you will be in the swaro class of binos and never feel the need to upgrade as there is only one binocular better and that is the swarovski el's which cost 2500. These are the same Meopta binos as posted above.

• Like 1

Buy my 12x50's i have for sale at $950 and you will be in the swaro class of binos and never feel the need to upgrade.

Why you selling them, upgrading to swarovskis?

Buy my 12x50's i have for sale at $950 and you will be in the swaro class of binos and never feel the need to upgrade.

Why you selling them, upgrading to swarovskis?
No i already have swarovskis. I just prefer 15's to 12's. They are actually a bit brighter and clearer than my swaro 15's.
  • Like 1