CouesWhitetail

1 road kill - 3 deer killed

About a week ago there was a WT doe killed on the Catalina Highway. Knowing that it was almost time for the WT to be dropping fawns, I figured I would check her out and see how many fawns she had. Well, she had two perfect fawns that were almost full term. Seems so tragic that this poor doe made it through all the dry times this year and developed such perfect fawns only to lose her life to a vehicle collision as the rains started.

Here are some photos. The fawns were about 15 inches long and my guess is she was only a week or two away from delivering them.

A week later I saw a nice buck that ended up as road kill on the highway. I sure wish people would slow down driving up that highway and be more alert during the times deer are actively moving around up there.

Amanda

post-1-1184867704_thumb.jpg

post-1-1184867740_thumb.jpg

How sad :(

To bad you could not have gotten to her sooner and saved the fawns

Growing up in PA. I have seen a lot of road kills

Thanks for sharing Amanda

Very Sad, but if I was in that situation i'm not sure what I would do. Would I start cutting or would I call the Game and Fish?

I'm not trying to put this on you Amanda, I'm just saying, if I were to hit a pregnant doe, what would be the best way to go about it? How long would the fawns live in the stomach?

That is a real sad picture. Could be used as a driver “awareness” poster.

azyoung

Amanda, I was wondering if you considered putting them on ice and contacting G&F to see if they were interested in having them mounted for future awareness education programs? Maybe they could even use the pictures you have now. That had to be quite emotional to do what you did, I would imagine. Thanks for sharing and what a sad situation.

TJ

wait i dont understand why all you guys are upset, wouldnt you have shot them anyways?

Was that suppose to be funny? :angry: As a hunter I do have respect for the game I hunt. I have to remember to not offend your feelings so I'll leave it at that you sick b#$@^$#.

TJ

wait i dont understand why all you guys are upset, wouldnt you have shot them anyways?

Right there is where hunters get stereotyped as killers, when in all reality sportsmen put more time, money, and effort into preserving game and habitat than peta or the humane society even thought of, and it pisses them off when they see the results from our efforts.

I forgot to say thanks for the photos and the details Amanda, very sad.

I hate to see that. On the way home over the 4th of July, there was a forky mule deer dead on the side of the road right outside of Superior. It is sad to see that happen.

Bummer! Hate to see that.... Cute lil' buggars. :( Thanks for sharing, Amanda.

those are good looking fawns, its too bad!

Brad, why dont you get out of here, this site contains more hunters that care about the game we pursue than any other site out there, we dont need this crap here.

Oh man that is a sad pic...what a shame, thanx for sharing Amanda. I can't say I've ever seen fawns that "new" before. Just only after they are looking abit gray in color. Truely pulls at the heart strings :unsure: . As for the "anti-nut" ignore 'em...someone said on the forum before "Do not feed the trolls".

Ernest