Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Cool find!

Check out what I found the other day in Aravaipa Canyon! I was thrilled! We went in to check on a pair of owls we monitor in there.

What's funny is that I walked within a few feet of this ram during the summer and didn't see it! It's a thick spot and so it was not easy to see. I was practically standing on it when I saw it this time. The horn sheaths were laying on the ground and off the skull. The ram has been dead a long time (at least a year). No skin and only a few clean bones. Not sure if it fell off the cliff or was a lion kill or disease killed it. But it was exciting to find!

I left the skull there because I wasn't sure it was legal to take. But since then I have talked to some AGFD law enforcement folks and they say since it's not fresh that I can keep it! So we will likely go back in this week to go get it.

It was challenging to keep Maggie from chewing on it!

post-1-0-47642300-1449598525_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-36480000-1449598599_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-58774300-1449598630_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-89001800-1449598744_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-46078400-1449598783_thumb.jpg

• Like 26

That's really awesome!!

I was lucky enough to find one while on the job monitoring wildlife catchments. Yours appears to be in much better shape!

post-3844-0-33942500-1392073310.jpg

post-3844-0-04884300-1392073342.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, great find Couespursuit! Yours looks like it had a lot of exposure to the sun causing the horns to get a rough texture. Luckily the one I found probably never saw the the sun or very little of it.

Awesome! I found one in Zion NP a couple of months ago. I really wanted it but left it there.

• Like 2

That is a nice find!

Wow, great find Couespursuit! Yours looks like it had a lot of exposure to the sun causing the horns to get a rough texture. Luckily the one I found probably never saw the the sun or very little of it.

Investigating once I found it, It turns out a hiker had found it before I did, actually pulling it out of the silt/water, and left it in the sun to rot! I couldn't believe it. I know it was heavy to pack out for a guy that didn't have a use for it but leaving it in the sun wasn't cool. No pun intended!

He uploaded his adventure and photos to Panoramio/Google Earth.

post-3844-0-27311800-1449601182_thumb.png

post-3844-0-16059600-1449601187_thumb.png

Again, very cool find, yours should preserve itself much better too!

post-3844-0-27943300-1449601475_thumb.png

• Like 1

I found one in 27 but it was taken by G&F for investigation and not returned. No hair or meat. dead a year or longer. Was a full curl plus a half. Think he wanted it for his collection, my fault for calling it in I guess. Yours is awesome Amanda!! Looks really wide!

I found one in 27 but it was taken by G&F for investigation and not returned. No hair or meat. dead a year or longer. Was a full curl plus a half. Think he wanted it for his collection, my fault for calling it in I guess. Yours is awesome Amanda!! Looks really wide!

oh man, that sucks! I am glad they weren't interested in mine. Post some pics of yours!