Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

6.5-06 opinions

Haha! Thanks for the info lark. The .270 was the first gun I had for deer at age 10. Savage 110. Had it for 12 years and never could make it shoot right. Most likely lack of knowledge but it left a bad taste in my mouth for savage and 270. I've learned a lot since then and although I don't own one I'd buy a savage no problem I'm still not sold on the 270 haha!!

As others have mentioned the 6.5-06 dies are cheaper and more available, including competition seaters, bushing dies etc. if you want them. You also have lots of brass on hand. I was in the same situation when I decided on the un-ackleyed version. I was using a controlled round feed action and did not want to deal with feed issues or feed rail work on my model 70. I think you'd be happy with the standard 6.5-06, but to each their own.

"You could always opt for the rifle of the gods, the .270. Lark"

Love it!

Md33, it's cuz you ain't worthy. Some folks choose the .270. But in order for it to fulfill its mission, the .270 has to choose you. Lark

• Like 1

For the record I never said the .264WM was not capable of 3200fps. I am well aware that it is and is an excellent performer. The only point I have been trying to make is that you can in fact get very near .264 Win Mag velocities and performance from the 6.5-06AI without using near as much powder or having to go through the added cost of having the bolt opened up as simple as that may be. For me, being able to reach velocities over 3100 fps while using under 60 grains of powder is down right impressive. Why burn 65 plus grains of powder to get an extra 100fps when you don't have to. The animals will never know the difference. Any route you pick you will be happy with. The 6.5 cartridges are all very impressive and capable of killing just about anything from a long ways away.

I'm going to really throw a wrench in everything and say go with a .264WMAI. the AI stamp alone adds 300fps. kinda like a flame paint job, or stick on hood scoop from Vato Zone add at least 100hp to a vehicle.

• Like 1