fire652

Pack weight

For you guys doing the backpack hunts, how much water is included in those weights? Any chance we could see a gear breakdown?

Holy crap you guys are heavy. These are day packs? as in ONE day, no sleeping?

For elk I carry no optics(don't need to see them, only need to hear them), food, water, bow and calls.15 lbs max including bow.

Dear I am heavier with optics, but still about 25ish.

I noticed mine seemed to be getting heavier and heavier so I gave up the habit and switched to a cabelas fanny pack with the shoulder straps and lash points.

Weighs less than 10#. If I cant fit it in the fannypack, I do without it.

10x binos ride around my neck if its open terrain, thick timber i just use my 7x rangefinder and leave the binos at home, and bow is in my hand.

Guest akaspecials

I'm around 30 lbs for a day pack and 50lbs for overnight with 4 liters of water. A few notes though: I always have enough food and water to last for a few days in case I turn a day hike into an overnight. I don't like being cold, so I always have an extra set of fleece and a puffy jacket. Finally, my Eberlestockstock Battleship pack is close to 10 lbs bare. I found the extra support is well worth the heavier pack weight. I can do a weight break down later.

As a general rule, most of my weight is water and optics.

Guest akaspecials

Itemized list with weights for a 3 night, 2 day hunt. I typically hike in Friday in the dark and hike out Sunday afternoon. I have a lot of heavier gear since the majority of light weight stuff doesn't stand up to years of abuse and I'm not exactly wealthy. A tent or tarp will get added to the list if weather is terrible, but usually just sleep on the ground or in a ultralight hammock. Those weights are not included. Also note that this is a winter list. I can lighten the load a lot in summer by dropping clothing and sleeping bag.

Item Weight (in lbs)

Pack (Eberlestock Battle Ship 90 Liter) 9

Sleeping Bag (0 degree) 4.5

Sleeping Pad 0.5

Food 4.5

Stove, Propane, Cooking Pot, Utensils 4

Water Filter 2.5

Long Underwear, Socks, Fleece, Gloves, Beanie 4.25

Puffy Jacket 2

Head Lamp and Batteries 1

Personal Hygiene 2

Misc (extra buckles, book, compass, etc.) 2

Dromedary Bag 0.25

Delorme in Reach 0.25

Knife, Game Bags 0.5

Map and Map Protector 0.75

15x56 Binocs and Tripod 8

Total without water: 42.5

Total with 2 liters water 46.9

Total with 4 liters water 51.3

Total with 12 liters water 68.9

My day pack is about 20-25 lbs lighter as I remove the overnight stuff from the list above. I would love to see some other breakdowns from other guys laying down the boot leather.

About 12 pounds max for a day hunt in weather above 32. Water included. Osprey backpackk coming in at 2.5 pounds helps immensely. Down jacket helps as well. Wisdom is starting for me,I guess. Decades to get there.

About 25-30 for an overnighter in winter, usually a few canteens. Can find water, usually. For more nights, more weight due to food.

Old Zwarskis binos...heavy.

Pistol, SA ruger.... sort of heavy

wool shirt....heavy

book for night time...sorta heavy.

everything else, light. Hunt with wooden stick bows, wood arrows, so I save serious weight there, and also this weapon system has a lower hunting days to kill ratio which keeps my pack light on the hike out. :huh: