Sign in to follow this  
LovinthehuntAz

33 stink pig herd this year ??

Hello everyone ! Hope everyone had a great holiday!! Well I've got a tag this year for 33 37b to switch it up alittle this year ! I've been looking at places I've seen them in years past and haven't been seeing lots of sign ! I've found one small herd three in total so far was wondering if anyone has seen large herds this year ! ? Or if the numbers are just down !! I really loved hunting this unit in the past so don't wanna bail on 33? And go hunt my old stuff in 37b any insight would help greatly thanks !

surprisingly i have not seen many javi in 33 this year.... the grass is tall, some places waist high, its hard enough to see those things without 3 foot high camouflage. they are still there, just need to be real patient this year glassing.

my son shot a javi in 37B during the jr. hunt in Oct..... so I know where one heard of about 12 are...

I am wondering the same thing. We had a great run in 37b over several years, but have trouble finding them the last 5 years, in our usual places. I drew a tag for that hunt and wondering how I want to spend my time.

Well I guess I'm not the only one having alil trouble!! Thx a lot guys !

The herd's are still there, two years ago down in 36a&b over the course of two weekends during January. We glassed up 15 different herd's. Went back a month later for my wife's rifle hunt and only came up with 3 herd's in three days. Those pigs where still there just not where we could see them.

I would bet me life that the javi's in 37b have a network of old mine tunnels figured out or something. There are days when they're every where, you can't hike a minute without tripping on one, and then I can't find a single pig for 2 or 3 days after. The last one I shot in that unit I got onto on the afternoon of the first day, the one before that took me about 7 days just to locate the first herd.

As for 33, I've yet to see javi's in that unit, although I know some guys who do pretty well down there around Oracle.

Whichever unit you pick, good luck, stay positive and just keep after it.

I almost hit the dang things leaving home 2-3 times a week. About a month ago I watched as a boar, sow and 8 piglets walked across my road. Kinda cool but the time they ran into my unfinished house at 2am and I was trying to keep the dogs back and chase them out with a 2x4 in my house shoes and boxers pissed me off! If almost let an archer hunter with a big family come thin them out..... Almost. But not yet.

I have seen a pretty decent sized herd multiple times while quail hunting out by oracle. Kinda wish I had the unit 33 tag now... <_<

I got on a herd of 6 javelina in 33 last Sat. Only one that presented a shot, before theyvspooked, was a sow with a baby so I left her alone.

Almost spooky! I read your post and thought it was mine! The EXACT same thing happened to me last week in 33, but with one odification! Six in the herd and a sow with two red piglets presented and walked right past me.