HNTNGUY

What caliber of new rifle do I buy?

I agree with averagejoe, but I would spend $600 on the Remington with the heavier barrel and aluminum bedded stock and put good money in glass. Don't skimp on the quality of the scope you put on the rifle. The Vortex Viper PST is the first "quality" scope I have put on a rifle and to me that is the lowest grade I would go in the future. It sure makes shooting long distance easier to do. If money is not a factor, do what joe said. Cheap remington 700 and get a good match barrel. Gunsmith services will run about $500 to install the barrel and blue print your action to the barrel. It cost you, but it's worth it.

Save time and money and buy a 7mm mag in a tika

• Like 1

If it were me I would invest in a reloading setup rather than custom rifle. Factory ammo is going to frustrate you at 600+ yards. Not mention the cost of it and iffy availability.

• Like 2

I have about $2400 into my sendero including gun, leupold vxiii 6.5x20x50, leupold magnetic lense covers, timney trigger, hard case, sling, and bi-pod. Im getting 2.25" groups at 750 yards. Its pretty nice for the cost. Although I am loading myself.attachicon.gif20140418_130144.jpg

Nice rig you have there. I am going to put a trigger on mine as well. Those Remington triggers are no bueno. I will take a look at my grouping then and get my reloads dialed in. I'm likely going to bed the action as well as even those aluminum bed blocks to get complete contact. I've also thought about cerakoting the whole rifle in more of an earth tone pattern. Hopefully I'll be getting groups as tight as yours at 700+ yards!

I was intrigued by the 28 Nosler until I saw the price of brass.

They have a box of 25 pieces for $75 at Sportsman's.

Yeah.....No thanks.

257 wby. You won't get an elk tag before you want a second rifle so this is plenty and some say you can take an elk with it. I don't agree unless 300 yards and under. Pick up a vanguard for $500 and spend all you can on a scope. They shoot accurate and reliable

Then just go shoot. Or better yet like desert bull said reload. I'm a novice still on reload but it's greatly improved accuracy once you find the load

Firstcoues80 encouraged me on 257 wby and I love it

• Like 1

Save time and money and buy a 7mm mag in a tika

Hard to beat this rifle without spending well over $1000. I have one of these and a Remington Sendero in 300 RUM that is extremely accurate. I find myself going to the 7mm mag more and more over the 300 RUM because it is so much lighter and I lose very little on accuracy.

Ok so I narrowed it down to a Sendero or Sako long range in a 7mm. Thoughts? Both have a heavy, fluted barrel and the Sako has an adjustable trigger (not sure if the Sendero does or not). Thanks again for all the input!

I like the look of the Sako and the action on the Sako's are much better/smoother than remington.

Yeah, the Xmark triggers on the Sendero are not that great. You might luck out and get one that can be adjusted down to a reasonable pull, but mine sure can't. I'll be replacing mine soon.

I love my weatherby vanguard in 257 weatherby but it is not a round I would shoot on a bull elk past 500 yards at the very most. It did a great job on my cow elk this season at just under 300 yards but much more then that is pushing it to far IMO.

My vanguard is a basic blued series 1 and will shoot sub MOA with handloads all day with a Redfield Revolution scope.

For a non handload er though you don't want a weatherby caliber.

I would look at a Tikka or savage in 7mm Rem mag or 300 win. Muzzle brake it if you need to.

I would recomend getting a ford. Or maybe a dodge or Chevy. With the info and technology available, it doesn't really matter. After witnessing a couple shots on elk this year, If i was gonna get a new rifle, it'd be a savage in .338 lapua. Wouldn't even think of anything else. Bucks wind like crazy and hits like a log truck with no brakes. Lark

• Like 1