Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

BROADHEADS

What are you shooting and how do they shoot compared to field tips?

I have been using 100 grain Muzzy's and am a little skeptical on their performance. Prior to my last hunt (last week) I shot few arrows with the broad heads at a target and noticed that they were shooting about 1' lower than my field tips. So I made adjustments to my sight then shot my target and felt like I was shooting on......went on my hunt. I ended up missing several deer at ranges that should have been kill shots. I need to get this sorted out and spend some time at the range before I hit the field again. Thinking of changing broad heads....................... Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to read up on broadhead tuning and make sure you tune your bow. If they are shooting a foot different than your field points then a different broadhead won't fix the problem it will just dampen it a little bit. I personally shoot mechanicals at deer, but without a proper tune, even mechanicals aren't spot on. Tune your bow first and make sure your arrow spine is correct.

• Like 1

My bow is brand new and should be in tune. I paper tuned it and my arrows are flying straight. Its a 2015 PSE Bowmadness 34. 27" draw set at 68 pounds. Shooting 400 spine arrows with 100 grain tips.

Sawbuck. Paper tuning alone won't do it in my experience. Try French tuning or modified French tuning or walk back tuning and then broadhead tuning. Muzzies are known to be one of the tougher heads to tune for so if you want new fixed heads look into the exodus, Slick tricks, wac em, wasp, or any of the other short low profile heads on the market. Most of them are solid heads. Chances are that you're still going to have trouble with your broadheads hitting with your field tips though. A properly tuned bow will shoot muzzys next to field tips. At least within a reasonable distance of say 50-60 yards. Find somebody close to you with tuning experience and have them help you tune it. You'll be happy you did, and penetration will be better too. Otherwise choose one of the popular mechanicals and settle for your broadheads hitting in the same general area as your field tips.

I have had my bow tuned professionally and still shoot consistently about an inch lower with every fixed broadhead I have tried. It shoots close with mechanical rages but still a little low. Since it is consistently and inch lower at 50 - 100 yards I sight my bow in shooting my broadheads and I am fine with hitting a little high while practicing. If you are just missing targets by an inch that is not the reason you are missing! You might have a little buck fever which will go away with time or until a big boy comes out and then your right back where you started! GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

your personal forms has so much to do with a launched arrows flight that no one can broad head tune your bow but you.

I can tune your bow with your arrows and your broad head so that every field tip gets damaged by the following broad head. But I guarantee that if I handed the bow to you your field tips would be off from your broad heads.

Just moving your site so your broad head hit the the bull is not the right answer. If your broad head don't have the same point of impact they are corkscrewing or flying sideway. Either way it can affect penetration.

I won't even get into buck fever. Lol but I've lost more arrows to it than most.

I had my bow tuned every month last year before my elk hunt. It was shooting slick tricks so well I couldnt tell a difference between them and my field tips.

• Like 1

I never been able to get Muzzy's to fly right. Don't have a problem with any others. Slick Trick, Wac ems, G5 should work well for you.

If you are certain your bow is tuned the problem may be you and not your equipment. Peope have a tendency to drop their bow immediately after releasing which brings the arrow down with the bow. With a fb broadhead if you drop your bow and the arrow the blades on the head will have a downward bias as the arrow clears your riser, causing the arrow to dip more drastically the further you are from the target.

Its very common for this problem to become more pronounced towards the end of a practice session when your arms are getting tired.

Make sure its not you before you start fiddling your gear. Concentrate on good follow through of your shots and not only will your broadheads start grouping closer to your field points but your field points will probably start grouping a little higher too.

I shoot Gravediggers, G5 T-3's and Slik Triks. All shoot well out of my setup.

• Like 1

Slick Tricks for me.

Over the years, tried couple brands. Never have to adjust sight from field points to the Tricks. These fly like my field points and on target.

but the Trick performance on game is what impresses me most.

• Like 1