Freakycamo

Muzzle Break

Does a gunsmith have to take your barrel off the action to thread it and install a break?

I was wondering this too. Also I would like to put a badger thruster break on my new 7mm. I don't like the look of breaks that are real bulky on the barrel. I have just the stock barrel( not a bull barrel). Would a gun smith be able to turn it so that it matches the barrel more? Or does it take a bull barrel to do that?

You can turn them down as much as like, but the more you turn it down,the more you minimize the effectiveness of the brake.

has anybody ever used the brakes with the ports that face forward (out of the crown) instead of side ports? Always been curious if those help push the noise downrange instead of back at the shooter while still reducing recoil

Are supressors still a class 3 item? Did game & fish legalize them for hunting?

They are still an NFA regulated item. Game and Fish legalized hunting with suppressors a couple years ago.

Thx for the info. Too bad supressors are NFA regulated. No reason for it IMO.

As I get older, seems I'm less tolerant of recoil. Cool thread.

Does a gunsmith have to take your barrel off the action to thread it and install a break?

I was wondering this too. Also I would like to put a badger thruster break on my new 7mm. I don't like the look of breaks that are real bulky on the barrel. I have just the stock barrel( not a bull barrel). Would a gun smith be able to turn it so that it matches the barrel more? Or does it take a bull barrel to do that?
Try the APA Micro Bastard brake. They work extremely well (I have two Badger Thruster brakes on other rifles), and can be turned down by a good gunsmith. Phoenix Custom Rifles did my install on my 7RM. Barrel diameter at the muzzle is just barely larger than a Remington Magnum contour. It is right at .670". Remington Magnum sporter contour is .660" at the muzzle.

20160127_161243_zps75rnmytz.jpg

• Like 3

Are supressors still a class 3 item? Did game & fish legalize them for hunting?

They are still an NFA regulated item. Game and Fish legalized hunting with suppressors a couple years ago.
Thx for the info. Too bad supressors are NFA regulated. No reason for it IMO.

As I get older, seems I'm less tolerant of recoil. Cool thread.

Just maybe........

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3799/text

has anybody ever used the brakes with the ports that face forward (out of the crown) instead of side ports? Always been curious if those help push the noise downrange instead of back at the shooter while still reducing recoil

In my opinion that would push the rifle into the shooter, when I design a brake I work for something that will pull the shooter forward.

The muscle brake might be good for you. Small straight port in the back and two angled ports the small straight one helps keep the noise from you.

Not necessarily.

Go to CNC Warrior site and look at all their tools.

You can thread a barrel while still attached to action.

Not necessarily.

Go to CNC Warrior site and look at all their tools.

You can thread a barrel while still attached to action.

I brake guns attached to the actions. I actually just installed my badger thruster on a barreled action.

Update, I have decided to go with the APA micro bastard and have Phoenix custom rifle install it. I will upload photos when it has been completed. Thanks for all the great advice everyone. This turned out to be a great topic.

• Like 2