Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

extending hitch on travel trailer

the way i used to tow my quad and travel trailer was by putting my quad in the bed of my truck and i was able to close the door. with my new rig, i need to leave the tailgate open but it won't go all the way down due to the trailer wheel crank.

has anyone ever had any success extending the frame on the trailer so the gate would be able to close and leave enough clearance for turns, etc? i imagine it may throw off hte tongue weight and such.....

if this isn't feasible i may have to let her go and pick up a hauler but i'd like to avoid that if possible (esp with the sketchy economy/market right now).

I'll be damned. I have never seen that before, but I dont shop harbor freight too often. Just remember made in China.

Make sure you have full coverage on your insurance and you trailer is covered ;)

You can get a flip away Jack too.

• Like 1

Don't tow anything heavy on that extension.... bad news.

How big of trailer do you plan to tow? Weight?

I wouldn't even consider towing anything heavier than a pop up trailer on that extension, especially a harbor freight extension.

• Like 1

I have a short bed Ram and my weight-distributing hitch extends out just far enough for the tailgate to open. With a regular hitch it won't open all the way. Don't know what having the tailgate open will do to your turning ability if the jack might hit the tailgate. Just a thought.

They also make slightly longer ball hitch inserts.