Sign in to follow this  
daverp

Boquillas new rules / permit structure out

The new ranch rules and fees are out. Some people won't be happy....

General access bumped from $60 to $80. Not terrible...I could live with it.

But, the big changes are the "HD" or "High Demand" access permits for antelope, early rifle bull, archery bull. Costs are now $500 for permits during these hunts, AND hunter numbers are capped at 25 for early rifle bull and archery antelope hunts, 30 hunters for rifle antelope, and 50 hunters for archery bull. Each hunter can have a maximum of 2 hunter assists.

Permits will be "first come, first serve".

No hunter caps on general deer / elk hunts, and looks to be no cap on number of assistants.

Not sure what their purpose is in limiting the number of hunters and granting the permits on a "first come, first serve basis", considering the hunter numbers on these hunts are very low anyway, but will leave some people who have been hoarding points for years for a chance to hunt this area on one of these hunts "out in the cold" and having to hunt an area they may possibly consider a less desirable area of U10 if they're #26 or later applicant for a hunter access permit. And I'm sure any buddies of the ranch leasee sure won't be left out...which could really limit the possibility of the average Joe getting a chance to hunt the ranch on one of the early hunts.

Limiting the number of assistants on the early "HD" hunts will certainly put a stop to the "glasser on every hill" for guys who sometimes have 5 to 10 spotters working for them (which admittedly can be a little frustrating at times), but limiting it to two people? What of the guy with an early archery or bull hunt who wants to share it with family and friends? He'll have to pick his two favorites to join him in camp?

Don't know about this. How does the $500 figure translate into a fair and reasonable "environmental impact" fee, or "improve hunter experience" as they claimed when the rules and fees were back up for negotiation?

I suspect it won't be long before a good number of us close the ranch gate at one of the camps and watch it disappear in the rear view for the last time with the way this is progressing.

• Like 1

My guess is the draw odds will go up on those HD hunts, most joes are not going to drop 643.00 for an az elk hunt as a resident. I bet a lot hit another unit instead

Limiting the number of assistants on the early "HD" hunts will certainly put a stop to the "glasser on every hill" for guys who sometimes have 5 to 10 spotters working for them (which admittedly can be a little frustrating at times), but limiting it to two people? What of the guy with an early archery or bull hunt who wants to share it with family and friends? He'll have to pick his two favorites to join him in camp?

might have to grease some palms.

What I suspect this will do (for the time being, until they feel they need to "renegotiate" access terms again so they can soak hunters for even more money) is leave a few more big bulls for the late rifle hunt guys. But that seems like the only real positive.

• Like 2

I wish they would of done it earlier. Would have been more big bulls and less people on my hunt last year. I say if You don't like it put in else where. And i'm not rich, just feel a quality hunt there will have just that ,better quality.. Ps. Like most things in life ,You get what you pay for.............BOB!

• Like 2

I wish they would of done it earlier. Would have been more big bulls and less people on my hunt last year. I say if You don't like it put in else where. And i'm not rich, just feel a quality hunt there will have just that ,better quality.. Ps. Like most things in life ,You get what you pay for.............BOB!

So how does fair chase come into this, its basically locked access unless you pay the price. How big and how many do you want to buy.

• Like 1

I didn't see any sign when I went in this year that said welcome to Texas, Home of the big ones. Its still hunting. don't no where you coming from...........BOB!

• Like 1

Your just mad cause Your gonna have to change Your name to 3guys hunting. No Broke back mtn. on this ranch.............BOB!

• Like 2

I've never spent a day in 9 or 10 but I do know there are other minter az land owners talking with game and fish, that worries me a bunch. Also more talk about handing forest lands over to states, and talk of selling to private to pay debts off, all bad bad deals for us, I feel bad for the guys who worked hard up in 10 and might not be hunting it now,

• Like 2

This bad for the average hard working hunter who can't afford to pay the $500 trophy fee!

Hmmmm I don't think they will get 50 archery elk hunters to hunt there considering all the other rules like no sitting water.

• Like 3