Sign in to follow this  
daverp

Boquillas new rules / permit structure out

I never stepped in 9 or 10 till this year either. I am a Wht. mtn. lover .much prettier. From what I saw it is over hyped right now any way. Just having fun here. 5 Guys don't get upset just playing around. Man tonight will be fun . Only on My 2nd beer. White Mountains here I come...........BOB!

name="naturebob" post="625115" timestamp="1453597797"]Your just mad cause Your gonna have to change Your name to 3guys hunting. No Broke back mtn. on this ranch.............BOB!
  • Like 5

5 Guys ,He wouldn't see me ,I would be all cammoed up.............BOB!

• Like 1

I was just kidding

But I don't understand, isn't a private ranch? Why shouldn't they be able to lock their gate and charge?

That's the first logical quote I've heard regarding the Big Bo. I'd like to see how everyone would like it if their neighbors started hoping the fence and walking through their backyard every morning and evening on their way to work. They'd understand in a hurry what private land means.

Private land is private land. They can charge what they want when they want. The $500 fee won't even come close to paying the taxes on their land.

• Like 2

I was just kidding

But I don't understand, isn't a private ranch? Why shouldn't they be able to lock their gate and charge?

That's the first logical quote I've heard regarding the Big Bo. I'd like to see how everyone would like it if their neighbors started hoping the fence and walking through their backyard every morning and evening on their way to work. They'd understand in a hurry what private land means.

Private land is private land. They can charge what they want when they want. The $500 fee won't even come close to paying the taxes on their land.

Agreed but what about paying to be on land that you already pay for? I don't have a problem with them charging but I do have a problem with ANY checker boarded ranches! Make them buy the rest of the land! The X-1 in 18a is the same and they don't let anyone on without hiring their guide and paying the fee!
  • Like 1

I was just kidding

Isn't there still about 230,000 acres of fairly popular, hunted for generations PUBLIC STATE TRUST LAND that is still only accessible through Big Bo .... I recall that being a major issue with the locals up there when they first started charging in 2013 ... I agree it is fair of them to Charge for Hunting on their Private land , but it should not be the case for use of the Public lands ... In unit 10 230,000 acres is a pretty big chunk

• Like 4

If your yard backs up to a city park are you ok with kids and dogs going across it all day to get to it? Landlocked public is nothing new. I'm guessing that was considered into the purchase price when they bought the ranch as well. They sell ranches in MT all the time that will say 24k acres, 12k deeded. You're buying 12k acres but it locks in leased land. You still pay the state/Feds for rent depending on who owns it. If you can figure out a way to access it, it's all yours!

Wow! That's just insane. $500 is a lot of coin for sure. I wonder if each "hunter assist" must pay this too. No doubt it will make the hunting much more enjoyable on the Bo but it's certainly affecting access to a ton of public land. Overall I'm sorry to see this happening.

If your yard backs up to a city park are you ok with kids and dogs going across it all day to get to it? Landlocked public is nothing new. I'm guessing that was considered into the purchase price when they bought the ranch as well. They sell ranches in MT all the time that will say 24k acres, 12k deeded. You're buying 12k acres but it locks in leased land. You still pay the state/Feds for rent depending on who owns it. If you can figure out a way to access it, it's all yours!

If kids have been crossing your land to get to a city park for 10 years and you throw up a brick wall, the city , state , or even parents could go to the courts to get a prescriptive easement and make you put an unlocked gate in that wall and a path for kids to cross to the park. If the park is landlocked and crossing your land is needed to get to it , an easement by Necessity could be obtained legally by a city, state or individual.... Ultimately if the state really wanted to they could use eminent domain to secure easements on all these roads used by generations to access PUBLIC LAND keeping any from being locked up... That would not stop an individual from restricting use of their private land but would allow ingress and egress via these roads to the general public to public lands... I do not know about you, but I would rather see my Tax Dollars and Tag fees spent securing access to OUR PUBLIC LANDS for all now and in future generations versus trying to bring wolves back or studying the mating habits of the chupacabra.

• Like 6

If kids have been crossing your land to get to a city park for 10 years and you throw up a brick wall, the city , state , or even parents could go to the courts to get a prescriptive easement and make you put an unlocked gate in that wall and a path for kids to cross to the park. If the park is landlocked and crossing your land is needed to get to it , an easement by Necessity could be obtained legally by a city, state or individual.... Ultimately if the state really wanted to they could use eminent domain to secure easements on all these roads used by generations to access PUBLIC LAND keeping any from being locked up... That would not stop an individual from restricting use of their private land but would allow ingress and egress via these roads to the general public to public lands... I do not know about you, but I would rather see my Tax Dollars and Tag fees spent securing access to OUR PUBLIC LANDS for all now and in future generations versus trying to bring wolves back or studying the mating habits of the chupacabra.

Sounds like you should get crackin on that "easement of necessity" on the Big Bo.

I've thought about the landlock issue for a long time. Eminent domain could be used but every instance would be a long drawn out court battle. Probably the fastest, easiest fix would be to change the lease rates for inaccessible public land i.e. if the landowner who controls access does not allow free access to the public he pays a higher lease rate. Which in my mind he should as he has exclusive use of the land. Something to ponder. The legislature could act on this along with legalizing "corner hopping". Likely a lot of public land would become accessible with such a measure.

Big Bo is within their rights as it stands. I'm OK with what they are doing, at least access is still available for a fee. The landlock issue is one that should be addressed however. All landowners should be able to access their property (without aircraft) public or private.

What needs to be done on checkerboard land is to draw a line right through the middle of it and tell the rancher, "ok, which side do you want?" Let em pick a side and then that is their private land. All in one place. And the other half becomes the public land. They can still run livestock, but the "public" land is opened up to the "public". Lark

• Like 3