Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

%$&^#$% Camera Thief

Well I put a brand new Camera up last weekend. I went to check it today and It's gone. I'm pissed, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I got a picturew of them. I had 2 camera's at the same spring to get photo's of different trails. I'm not going to post a pic of the person, but I will be there opening morning to settle the score. I know you guys want to see them, but I want to settle this personally. I cant believe a fellow hunter would steel another hunter's camera. What a $%&* Head.

Good luck to you on this, but I would rather be hunting opening morning than catching a thief, and that is if he even shows up. I am not saying don't go after the guy, by all means try everything you can to catch him, maybe get in touch with the wildlife manager and see what he thinks about the thief, maybe he can do the work for you an opening day, and you can be free to hunt. Again take care and good luck.

Good luck to you on this, but I would rather be hunting opening morning than catching a thief, and that is if he even shows up. I am not saying don't go after the guy, by all means try everything you can to catch him, maybe get in touch with the wildlife manager and see what he thinks about the thief, maybe he can do the work for you an opening day, and you can be free to hunt. Again take care and good luck.

Amen to that! Turn it into the authorities and let them do the deed for you. If you do it it will not turn out good for either of you.

Hope you get to meet him face to face. I just put mine out for the first time 3 weeks ago. (21 days 264 pics)Luckily it was still there. Does anyone else use the cable and bracket lock? I couldn't pass up the insurance of using one on my stealth cam. If the other camera got a good picture of them print a few off and bring it in your pack. Then if your lucky enough to see him, show him the pick, then give him 2 options pay up or get ------ up ;) ! There wont be anywhere to run to in the field!

That sucks!!!! :angry: :angry: I am relatively new to the trail cams. I just started using them this year and I am almost certain I barely missed one of mine being stolen. I am using the Leaf River cams the ones with the steel bracket and bar to secure the camera to the tree. I have cable locks from the bracket to the tree and locks on the steel bar covering the camera access door. When I went to check my cameras late one Friday night, I found one of them had been tampered with. Luckily there was not any serious damage but it was fairly evident that someone had tried to steal it. I moved the camera to a more remote area that same night and then crashed in my truck. Very early the next morning a dodge truck with an aluminum camper shell drove by my truck and he was in a big hurry and I thought that it was strange that he did not return my friendly wave. :unsure: I put away my gear and then headed in the direction the truck was going (the same direction my tampered camera was in). I was about 15 minutes behind the guy and wouldn't you know it he pulled out of the short dead end road where my camera had been! I was watching his tracks the whole way in and he did not stop at any of the other water sources but went directy to where my camera was. I am positive that he was returning with bolt cutters to remove my camera from the tree. I hope that the person that stole your camera and the one that I am sure was going to steal mine are visitors (not members)of this site and can read your post!!! I am with you on this one and I will surely be one pissed off individual if and when I run into this guy again :angry: Again I am really sorry to hear about your camera!!

Sorry to hear about you camera.....THAT SUCKS!!!

I am with KGaines on this one. I too would hate to lose a day or even part looking for some loser lowlife than for your deer.

I say post the thieves pic so maybe we can help you identify him while the iron is still hot. That way you can go the WM this a pic in hand and some sort of ID on the loser that way he might be more active in trying to do something about catching him. I can imagine that WM's are quite busy on opening morning, lets try am give a hand!

I do not own any trail cameras but I HATE hearing that they keep getting stolen especially from members of the great site. As a group we can be pro-active about this repeated problem find the culprits and spread the word among the lowlifes that if you steal a camera the you pic will be taken and you get busted.

:ph34r:

I'd like to see their faces too.... Chances are some one here will recognize them and help you solve your problem.... ;)

Yep If I was you I would love to settle this on opening morning I can not stand a fricken thief but it is probably in your

best interest to let the law or a WM take care of it.

Nowadays you can not give someone a good ole butt stompming and not go to jail or possibly lose your

rights to carry a weapon which means NO HUNTING :unsure: :unsure:

If you do not want to post the pics then show them to some of your buddy's and figure out who he is and turn him in.

Post the mug shot.

And go hunting opening morning.

A little psycology: You ain't gonna see the guy in the area. He stole the camera, and that makes him a thief. He is guilty and will be reminded of that guilt every time he even thinks of your spot. Chances are he won't show up there because he won't want to be confronted - if he's normal, with a conscience, and not psychopathic.

I hunted the spot where my treestand was ripped off last January and never saw hide nor hair of the thief. I've been visiting the spot lately and I'm not seeing any sign of human activity.

Again, relax and go hunt your spot - and post the mug shot.

Mike

Do you actually have a oic of him messing with the camera? Or just a pic of a hunter? Though I guess if hes the only one you have a shot of who else could it be. Just curious.

BigBrowns is a friend of mine who has put alot of work into his trail cam setups. I have seen the pics, there are two guys. The pics were taken an hour and a half before he went to swap the sd cards and there were fresh boot tracks leading up to the stolen camera location. I have salt holes on the same mountain. Last year someone buried one of the holes and hung up a five gallon bucket filled with corn. There were holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket so the corn could be licked out by the deer. A great idea, but not a cool way to go about things. I took his bucket and left a note with my contact info, there has been no sign of anyone in the location since.

I think it's pretty sad that w/ 2 million + acres of public land in this state, hunters would rather screw with other hunters gear than find a different spot. I'm convinced that at least half the camera thefts & bait molestations are a result of people feeling that someone is intruding on their turf, more than it is genuine greed. Guess we should start sniffing trees to see who's pissed on 'em before hanging our cameras.

Hunters have always been referred to as "sportsmen", which implies sportsmanship to me. I don't understand what's sporting about thieving from another participant in the sport you're trying to enjoy. If we were playing football, you wouldn't see us going over to the other teams side, tipping their Gatorade jug onto the ground & stealing their towels just because they scored the first touch-down. Yet, for some reason these guys seem to think it's okay to act like a jackass just because no one is there to see them. Good luck getting your camera back.

I had a close call last weekend. I hiked down to the bottom of a canyon to put one of my cams up and realized I had forgotten the lock to it. I ended up tying it to the tree with some string I had in my pack, and figured I would come back in a couple of days. I didn't think anyone ever went to this spot that I have been watching, because I have been in there several times and never even seen human tracks. Well, when I went back I found that somebody had been in there because I had a mugshot of them opening up my camera. I am sure they looked at the pics on the SD card, but atleast they were a "sportsman" about it and left my camera there. I am VERY thankful that the person didn't walk away with it. If you happen to be on here, because I know you are a "sportsman" because you left my cam there. I want to say Thank You!