Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

Binos-Let's hear it...

I think that many are finding that a larger field of view is better for around the neck general glassing. My favorite binos for general glassing are some 7x35 Bushnell customs that I bought in the 70's. I tried 12x50 around the neck once for archery Javelina but up close I had trouble. Too much power up close is not good. I see a lot of people are going to 8 power around the neck. For stalking up close and looking thru the brush low power works best. When looking for animals, comfort for you and your eyes enables you to stay with it for hours.

I am a huge fan of swaros. I did win a set of vortex Binos at a banquet. I'm not sure the model. The main thing I notice with them is that the depth of focus is very small. Basically I have to refocus them constantly. Seems just a 100 yard change in distance requires a finger on that focus knob. They give me constant eye strain and a quick headache. I rarely have to touch the focus knob on my swaros unless it's a drastic change in distance. Say 50 yards

to 500. But more than not I sit down focus them and pretty good to go all day without adjusting.

Just my 2 cents on one of the biggest differences I notice between the top end and lower end that I don't hear much talk about.

Great point that I haven't seen before...will definitely look for that when comparing.

• Like 1

thanks for the input fellers. I have gone back and forth about ten times but i now think i've settled on the 15's. Of course i gotta wait until i've finished paying off the wife's student loans this summer before i buy a pair. :angry: that'll give me plenty of time to mull it over whether i wanna break the bank and go w/ the SLCs or settle for the zeiss or meopta

EL 12's... I have all of them and have settled on the 12's and a spotter if I am not on a long hike. Just 12's if I am hoofing it. The 12's are the best compromise there is and they are not a big compromise from the 15's even at longer distances. 15's are great but frankly I don;t pick them up much at all anymore. One of my girls or me dad are usually on them.