Sign in to follow this  
sherman

Bird dog help please

So after hunting with a bird dog this year I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get one. The problem is convincing her that it is worth the investment I've tried everything like I need a companion it'll be great for the kids to have a puppy inside the house so help me sell this to her. And info on is it best to start with a puppy that has been introduceed or not i have never trained anything and would have to do this my self. Has anyone ever got a rescue dog from like a Brittany rescue.

It's not the only way to have a successful bird dog but if you decide to get a dog and train it yourself, your best bet is get a good pedigree dog of your choice as close to 49 days of age a possible, and get a DVD program and read a few books about the particular type of dog you want. I assume by your posts on the site you are looking for an upland hunting dog.

I'm sure it is possible to rescue a dog and train it to retrieve birds but you could have a lot of bad habit undoing on your hands, the dog could have developed a fear that inhibits proper handling and/or the trust relationship that's required, etc.

Lastly you can buy a trained gun dog or training for it, but it's going to cost you and it's my opinion the experience of training is well worth it!

Good luck, it's hard to describe the greatness of the overall experience. I also think your wife will forgive you if you buy a puppy and let her hold it as soon as they meet.

• Like 1

Get a momma don't know fund going and get a dog from that money. She doesn't need to know how much the dog cost.

• Like 1

Get a momma don't know fund going and get a dog from that money. She doesn't need to know how much the dog cost.

That is an idea. Whar are your thoughts on getting an in touched dog compared to one that has been started. Maybe i can get a mentor to run a dog with

I would get a pup. Ain't a woman out there that doesn't like puppies. Plus a pup that you trained is half the fun. It will make a better pet. Brittany would be a great choice.

• Like 1

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Get a pup :D .

• Like 1

Trust me on this one and learn from my mistake. Spend the extra $$$ and Buy a pup from a reputable breeder with a great pedigree. It will frustrate you to no end trying to home train a dog with inferior breeding. The better the breeding the easier it will be to train.

If a dog can hunt and is not gun shy it most likely won't be at a rescue shelter.

• Like 2

I hope i am getting her on my side i hope. This would be a hunting dog first and pet second.

Trust me on this one and learn from my mistake. Spend the extra $$$ and Buy a pup from a reputable breeder with a great pedigree. It will frustrate you to no end trying to home train a dog with inferior breeding. The better the breeding the easier it will be to train.

If a dog can hunt and is not gun shy it most likely won't be at a rescue shelter.

Great advice. Spend the money on the front end, you'll likely avoid health issues that will cost $$$$$$ Paying to get your new buddy over an injury is way better than a dog with a long list of hereditary issues.

Joining a club is a great way to learn how to train. A well bred dog will do most of it on it's own. Refinement is all that is needed on your part.

• Like 1

Great advice so far. Do you have a specific breed in mind? I got my first gsp last year and he's awesome. Just remember the initial cost of the dog is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I did a good amount of reserch before I got my gsp, if you're considering one pm me and I can share some info with you.