Sign in to follow this  
TwoOneEight Photography

Shed hunting pointers

Hello, going into my 4 year trying Elk shed hunting I've still yet to find a shed :(

Anyone that's willing to share some info or tricks or need a hand , please PM me . I'm not looking to make $$ off horns just looking for fun !!

Thanks ,

Nick B

Its hard because there are just soo many people out shed hunting. Locals are out every day driving on and off road looking for a few extra bucks. If you are just going out casually on the weekends it is very hard. You have to find a way to get where quads cant go and just have to time it right. Or hike the canyons in elk country that you really dont want to lol.

• Like 5

Hike. Get away from roads. Find where the elk are at this time of year. I have found elk sheds in the same unit from 5000' to 7800' elevations.

• Like 2

I look for rubs they seem to knock them off when they rub on a tree and fence lines are good as they jar them loose when they jump over the fence

• Like 1

It helps if you are hunting in a area that has a high population of Elk. What unit have you been looking in?

• Like 2

I once found a coues shed on a hunt when I pulled into camp. I found 5 old elk sheds on my last elk hunt. That's all I have ever found. This year I think im gonna get drunk and stumble around in the woods. That way im concentrating on looking down.

• Like 2

Seems the 3-4 times I went strictly looking for shed I have only found 1 or 2. Find most while turkey hunting in the spring. Have found 5 or 6 coues shed while deer hunting. Have found a few at tanks too... Good Luck..........BOB!

• Like 1

It helps if you are hunting in a area that has a high population of Elk. What unit have you been looking in?

I know i should check a different unit but iv been focusing in 6A (close to the Valley )

That unit gets pounded by shed hunters. Forset service, and many others. At least try 5b, 8,9 etc.

• Like 1

One year elk hunting I walked off red butte in 9 with a full pack of antlers. I've been back a couple times and there is nothing but quad tracks all over that hill and all over the rest of 9. Around Skinner ridge used to be good for antlers but again, recently I've found nothing but quad tracks. This year I'm going to hit the thickest steepest nastiest places in 5bN that I know in hopes of finding some decent antlers.

• Like 1

Scouting this time of year will give you a general idea of where the elk are, try to find a place where there's not a ton of pressure which seems to be getting harder to do. 6a was a lot of big country that most people don't want to go in. The big canyons can be good to glass into for sheds

• Like 2